Kit version of nanoKenbak-1?

famousd...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2021, 7:23:26 PM3/1/21
to uKenbak-1
Do you think anyone would be interested in a kit version of the nanoKenbak-1?  It uses relatively large 1206 SMD components and I could program the ATMEGA328 before I send it out.  I just don't know if anyone is interested in SMD kits.

Charley Jones

Mar 1, 2021, 9:02:38 PM3/1/21
to famousd...@gmail.com, uKenbak-1
I did start a company called SMTboards, only because I didn’t like drilling holes through my boards.  It didn’t really take off except for makerfaires

Sent from my iPhone Xs!

On Mar 1, 2021, at 4:23 PM, famousd...@gmail.com <famousd...@gmail.com> wrote:

Do you think anyone would be interested in a kit version of the nanoKenbak-1?  It uses relatively large 1206 SMD components and I could program the ATMEGA328 before I send it out.  I just don't know if anyone is interested in SMD kits.

John Kennedy

Mar 1, 2021, 10:13:33 PM3/1/21
to uKenbak-1

Maybe the old school soldering folks are looking for a good introductory kit. I would get one.
I don’t know how you would gauge response - a Twitter poll might be a start..

Vicente González

Mar 3, 2021, 9:14:07 AM3/3/21
to famousd...@gmail.com, uKenbak-1
You could try offering the kit version of the nanoKenbak, but I'm not sure there are many retrocomputer fans with the skill and desire to put together SMT kits. I have the skill and all the necessary equipment to do SMT so I would buy any KENBAK kit that ADWATER & STIR offers. :-)

famousd...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2021, 9:39:46 AM3/3/21
to uKenbak-1
I think I will.  I should have some more boards on Monday.  I still need to try programming the Atmega328 off the board (without the ICSP) but I'm confident I can do that.  I know I have one of those clamshell QPF32 to DIP adapters around here somewhere.

famousd...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2021, 9:40:12 AM3/3/21
to uKenbak-1
Of course I'll still have the assembled ones available.

fcpr...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2021, 2:18:56 PM3/4/21
to uKenbak-1
I might get two assembled ones, leaving one virgin, and get my teensy soldering iron out again and try to hack in a serial port on the other. Can I presume that the ATMega328P chip has the serial port bootloader installed, just like the µKENBAK-1 did?

And I presume the ATMega328P works OK on the 3.6V from the battery, even though the µKENBAK-1used 5V?

famousd...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2021, 2:35:27 PM3/4/21
to uKenbak-1
It hasn't complained.  Microchip says the Atmega328p-au can operate at voltages between 1.8v and 5.5v.  Sorry, no bootloader.

Ryan S

Apr 10, 2021, 12:59:57 PM4/10/21
to uKenbak-1
I would be up for a kit version.  Would be a good opportunity to extend the LED leads and make some sort of case for it.

mgas1237

Apr 22, 2021, 6:55:46 PM4/22/21
to uKenbak-1
I would order a kit in addition to the assembled one. I would also order a kit of the 1/2 without the case.