Full size Kenbak-1 idea

famousd...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2021, 2:28:07 PMJul 23
to uKenbak-1
My full size cases should be here middle of next week.  It has been a long, frustrating, expensive process.  I only have 50 cases coming and I'm not going to order any more.  I plan on selling them fully assembled and when they're gone they're gone.  If you want one, I'd suggest you sign up here for an email notification, then it's first come/first served: https://adwaterandstir.com/product/full-size-kenbak/

But, I have a new plan for a kit version, let me know what you think.  The manufacturer of the cases for the new uKenbak-1 kit was very easy to work with and they did an amazing job.  So I basically doubled the size of that case.  It will have the same height and width dimensions, but will only be 100mm deep (about 1/3rd the depth of the original.)  This means the faceplate will look like the original, but it will fit on a shelf.  The aluminum extrusions on the edge will also be the same as the original, but with exposed holes for bolts and 100mm long.
LargeCaseSample.pdf

famousd...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2021, 4:20:19 PMJul 23
to uKenbak-1
3D renderings:
Extrusion1.JPGLargeCase.JPG

Tom Lake

Jul 23, 2021, 4:34:03 PMJul 23
to uKenbak-1
I want one!!! Will it have on-off and panel lock switches? Even if not, I still want one!!!

Randy E (OoMOR)

Jul 23, 2021, 11:52:16 PMJul 23
to uKenbak-1
I likewise would like one and have subscribed. (but will of course be getting a shallow depth kit version as well.)

Thanks, Randy

John Kennedy

Jul 24, 2021, 8:15:30 PMJul 24
to uKenbak-1
Very interesting and a little more practical for those of us with limited desk space :-)

But will this Full-sized Skinny version have full-sized mechanical keys?

famousd...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2021, 12:12:18 AMJul 25
to uKenbak-1
Yeah it will look like this, just 1/3 as deep.
IMG_6278.jpg

Tom Lake

Jul 25, 2021, 7:01:12 AMJul 25
to uKenbak-1
Did you ever assemble and sell the 50 samples you got? I asked for one but never heard back. I'd like one of these shallower units!

famousd...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2021, 10:09:59 AMJul 25
to uKenbak-1
No, my full size cases should be here in a few days.

John Kennedy

Jul 25, 2021, 1:40:35 PMJul 25
to uKenbak-1
Oh ok, now I'm torn. Are you definitely going to make some of these skinny ones? :-)

famousd...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2021, 10:35:26 PMJul 25
to uKenbak-1
Well I ordered two prototype cases.  It will depend on how good they are and what the price comes in at.