KENBAK-1 IDE

MICHAEL GARDI

Aug 30, 2021, 12:41:48 PM8/30/21
to uKenbak-1
I have just created a new release of my KENBAK_ide:

It's a complete development environment for creating KENBAK-1 programs with integrated Assembler, Debugger, and Emulator.  The two major improvements to this version are:

  1. The IDE will now create a comma delimited octal value text file of your program suitable for downloading to your uKENBAK-1 via serial.
  2. I have added a KENBAK-1 Front Panel Simulator to the IDE so that you can test and debug your programs prior to downloading.
Mike

Tom Wilson

Aug 30, 2021, 1:31:42 PM8/30/21
to MICHAEL GARDI, uKenbak-1
Checking it out now!

I have zero experience with the Kenbak, but I'm thinking of buying both the "ruler" and Chris's standard kit, mostly for display purposes. (I want that binary clock...)

Tom Wilson

Aug 30, 2021, 1:43:03 PM8/30/21
to MICHAEL GARDI, uKenbak-1
dumb question here: how do I start the front panel emulator? I see a Console button, but when I click that, I just get a blank window:
image.png

Am I missing a dependency, maybe? Which version of Python should I be using?

Tom Wilson

Aug 30, 2021, 1:58:22 PM8/30/21
to MICHAEL GARDI, uKenbak-1
Ok,  working on Linux. I'll try again later on Windows. On my Debian VM, I did have to run a  couple of commands to get tkinter installed:

python3 -m pip -V install tk
sudo apt-get install python3-tk

MICHAEL GARDI

Aug 30, 2021, 2:23:20 PM8/30/21
to uKenbak-1
I'm surprised that you had to install tkinter. My understanding is that it is a framework built into the Python standard library. The Console issue might be because the Front Panel Text Colored.gif file is not in the same folder as the KENBAK_ide.py file.

Mike

Tom Wilson

Aug 30, 2021, 3:23:36 PM8/30/21
to uKenbak-1
I'm surprised that you had to install tkinter. My understanding is that it is a framework built into the Python standard library. The Console issue might be because the Front Panel Text Colored.gif file is not in the same folder as the KENBAK_ide.py file.

Python did not come pre-installed on my Debian distro or (obviously) my Windows 10 PC. When I installed Python using apt-get, it looks like only the basic python distribution was installed. I am working on a program that uses PyGame for its UI, and I had to install pip (to get pygame) separately. So it's not a complete surprise that tkinter was also not installed by default.

On Windows, the installer has checkboxes for certain components. if you don't check the box for pip and tcl/tk, then they won't be installed. (I don't know what the default is, since I already have those on my Windows system.)

Message has been deleted

Tom Lake

Sep 1, 2021, 1:26:50 AM9/1/21
to uKenbak-1
On Windows WSL2 I had to do

sudo apt install python-pip

before I did these:

python3 -m pip -V install tk
sudo apt-get install python3-tk

Tom Wilson

Sep 1, 2021, 1:45:57 AM9/1/21
to Tom Lake, uKenbak-1
Yeah, sorry for not mentioning that. pip isn't installed by default, either, so you have to do the apt-get to install it.

So the correct sequence is
sudo apt-get install python-pip
python3 -m pip -V install tk
sudo apt-get install python3-tk

That should work on both Debian and Raspbian.

Rolf Strand

Sep 8, 2021, 4:02:03 PM9/8/21
to uKenbak-1
Mike,

Feature request:
Maybe this is already there and I do not know how to use it.
When single stepping or in auto, if the current pc line is not being displayed, have the display scroll to show it.

Rolf