Battery keeps discharging

famousd...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2021, 9:10:12 AM1/22/21
to uKenbak-1
Can anyone look at my schematic and tell me why this attempt at an SMD Kenbak-1 would make the battery fully discharge in less than 24 hours when the power switch is off?  Sorry my schematic is such a mess!IMG_6213.jpg
nanoKenbak-1.pdf

John Kennedy

Jan 22, 2021, 12:07:14 PM1/22/21
to uKenbak-1
What's the resistance across the battery terminals with no battery present?

Charley Jones

Jan 22, 2021, 2:05:02 PM1/22/21
to John Kennedy, uKenbak-1
If it helps, I have discovered that most circuits leak a bit of current. The best method is to add a physical switch disconnecting the positive terminal.  That is truly the best way to prevent leakage.  I did some work with tiny 13s.  Even in sleep mode, there was still leakage.

Sent from my iPhone Xs!

On Friday, January 22, 2021 at 6:10:12 AM UTC-8 famousd...@gmail.com wrote:
Can anyone look at my schematic and tell me why this attempt at an SMD Kenbak-1 would make the battery fully discharge in less than 24 hours when the power switch is off?  Sorry my schematic is such a mess!IMG_6213.jpg

Vicente González

Jan 22, 2021, 2:24:30 PM1/22/21
to Charley Jones, John Kennedy, uKenbak-1
Hi Chris, nice to follow your progress.
I am not sure the MCP73831 Li-Polymer Charge Management Controller can be used in that configuration.
The MCP73831 controls Current and Voltage to protect the battery , if there are other loads in parallel (the
 the charger may behave strangely and the battery will suffer.
In this application the design prevents this situation, the battery is not charging and used at the same time, for that, there are other IC's:  http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/appnotes/01149c.pdf
Try to use a fresh battery and keep the power switch off while charging, the battery should behave properly then.
regards,
Vicente