Serial Communications

Justin Kusmierczyk

May 24, 2024, 11:15:46 PMMay 24
to uKenbak-1
I can't seem to figure out the serial communications on the µKenbak-1. I'm plugged into a Windows 10 PC loaded with the CH-340 driver. Device Manager shows Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART bridge on COM7

I tried both Putty and Tera Term over serial on COM7, but I just don't seem to be able to communicate with the µKenbak-1.

If understand correctly I'm supposed to press any of the Bit keys such as Bit0 and then press SET. I should then be able to paste the example code from the website, but I get no output in the terminal window.

Alternatively I have programmed in Das Bliken Lights by hand and I am unable to write out the memory to the USB serial. Again I get no output on in the terminal.

famousd...@gmail.com

May 25, 2024, 9:35:05 AMMay 25
to uKenbak-1
You don't press "any" Bit key, you press the one that matches the baud rate you have set up in PuTTY or Tera Term:

0 = 4800 baud
1 = 9600 baud
2 = 19200 baud
3 = 38400 baud

So pressing Bit2+DISPLAY writes program memory as 16 lines of 16 bytes of octal data to the serial port at 19200 baud.  Likewise, pressing Bit2+SET reads program memory from the serial port at 19200 baud.

Justin Kusmierczyk

May 25, 2024, 12:15:48 PMMay 25
to uKenbak-1
Thanks, that was it. Seems so obvious now.

famousd...@gmail.com

May 26, 2024, 9:43:09 AMMay 26
to uKenbak-1
Glad to hear it's working!