Connect nanoKenbak-1 to Raspberry Pi

Mike Corrigan

Aug 27, 2021, 11:16:54 AM8/27/21
to uKenbak-1
I am trying to connect my nanoKenbak to a Raspberry Pi USB port so I can upload/download programs.  When I attach the nano to a USB port on the Pi, it doesn't seem to show up as a USB device on the Pi.  (Nothing in the kernel messages or syslog)

Has anyone done this, and if so, what do I need to do differently?

famousd...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2021, 11:57:11 AM8/27/21
to uKenbak-1
The nanoKenbak-1 does not have a UART.  I know Frank Prindle hacked his and added an FTDI to connect to USB.

famousd...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2021, 11:57:54 AM8/27/21
to uKenbak-1
The USB on the nanoKenbak is for power only.

Frank P.

Aug 27, 2021, 12:03:42 PM8/27/21
to uKenbak-1

Mike Corrigan

Aug 27, 2021, 12:05:52 PM8/27/21
to uKenbak-1
Oh...  I assumed it did since it 'tried' to send data when you do BitN+Display...  The lights blink

How about the uKenbak-1?  It also doesn't appear to connect to the Raspberry Pi.  /dev/ttyACM0 doesn't appear and nothing shows up in the logs

Mike Corrigan

Aug 27, 2021, 12:34:47 PM8/27/21
to uKenbak-1
Well, the uKenbak didn't work either.  But that turned out to be a bad USB to UART module.  Luckily, when I bought the replacement for the one I ruined, it came in a pack of two.  The second one works fine!

Frank P.

Aug 27, 2021, 12:35:40 PM8/27/21
to uKenbak-1
On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 12:05:52 PM UTC-4 mike...@gmail.com wrote:
Oh...  I assumed it did since it 'tried' to send data when you do BitN+Display...  The lights blink

That's because the ATMega328p chip does have a serial port, and the firmware writes to the serial port, but without the wires, the serial port pins are unattached.