Full size case on the way!

Chris Davis

Mar 21, 2020, 2:17:59 PM3/21/20
to uken...@googlegroups.com
Maybe I'm a bit premature on this, but I have officially ordered a prototype of the full-size Kenbak-1 case.  In an earlier post, I shared that Bud Industries, the original manufacturer of the "Gran Prix" case used for the Kenbak-1 was kind enough to share the engineering drawings for the case (from 1965!)  I cleaned up the drawings, converted them to metric, and I'm having a company produce a prototype, including the CNC machined aluminum ends.  I'll post pictures when it arrives!

BTW, it was cheaper than I had planned, so the kit may be in the same price range as the Altair-duino Pro.

Charley Jones

Mar 21, 2020, 3:42:19 PM3/21/20
to Chris Davis, uKenbak-1
Good Man Chris, I’ll build another one full size!

Sent from my iPhone Xs!

On Mar 21, 2020, at 11:18 AM, Chris Davis <famousd...@gmail.com> wrote:

Maybe I'm a bit premature on this, but I have officially ordered a prototype of the full-size Kenbak-1 case.  In an earlier post, I shared that Bud Industries, the original manufacturer of the "Gran Prix" case used for the Kenbak-1 was kind enough to share the engineering drawings for the case (from 1965!)  I cleaned up the drawings, converted them to metric, and I'm having a company produce a prototype, including the CNC machines aluminum ends.  I'll post pictures when it arrives!

William Steele

Mar 21, 2020, 6:46:24 PM3/21/20
to uKenbak-1
Oh, my... I will buy one the very second it is available... hell... I'll pre-buy one RIGHT NOW!!!  :-D  My home made jobby just doesn't do it justice enough.

Bill

Chris Davis

Mar 21, 2020, 7:40:35 PM3/21/20
to uKenbak-1
Bill,

How did you design your kit? Did you have a schematic for the original?

William Steele

Mar 21, 2020, 9:59:53 PM3/21/20
to uKenbak-1
It was based on the schematics from John Blankenbaker's original documentation. He included a Theory of Operation that described it in great detail, including every component.

Bill

William Steele

Mar 21, 2020, 10:02:03 PM3/21/20
to uKenbak-1
And when you say design... It wasn't really designed... It's literally just wiring up the components on protoboards according to his docs. The only change I made was to add an automatic reset at start up. (Using a 555 timer.)

Bill

William Steele

Mar 21, 2020, 10:04:22 PM3/21/20
to uKenbak-1
I would love to design a PCB based on it to fit your new case design.

Bill

Chris Davis

Mar 21, 2020, 10:24:05 PM3/21/20
to uKenbak-1
Were there any "hard to find" components?

Chris Davis

Mar 21, 2020, 10:24:37 PM3/21/20
to uKenbak-1
We might have to collaborate on that!

William Steele

Mar 22, 2020, 6:26:42 AM3/22/20
to uKenbak-1
There were were a few semi hard to find... but nothing that was very difficult.  The 1404 Shift Registers are pretty limited... but there are a little more modern replacements that work just fine.

Everything else was standard off the shelf 7400 series logic.

Bill

John Kennedy

Mar 22, 2020, 1:15:25 PM3/22/20
to uKenbak-1
Wow fantastic!

On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 11:17:59 AM UTC-7, Chris Davis wrote:
Maybe I'm a bit premature on this, but I have officially ordered a prototype of the full-size Kenbak-1 case.  In an earlier post, I shared that Bud Industries, the original manufacturer of the "Gran Prix" case used for the Kenbak-1 was kind enough to share the engineering drawings for the case (from 1965!)  I cleaned up the drawings, converted them to metric, and I'm having a company produce a prototype, including the CNC machines aluminum ends.  I'll post pictures when it arrives!

Jim Manley

Mar 22, 2020, 8:47:35 PM3/22/20
to William Steele, uKenbak-1
Hi Bill,

That sounds amazing!  DId you go for complete authenticity and stick with original TTL series devices, or use more modern versions of low-power, CMOS, high-speed, etc., some of which require using that series in many, if not all, components to match fan-in, fan-out, and other signal compatibility characteristics?

A PCB would be really nice to have, so put another vote in the Yes column if you're keeping track.

All the Best,
Jim  KJ7JHE
Lame Deer High School Amateur Radio Club  KJ7JKU

Vicente González

Mar 22, 2020, 9:12:33 PM3/22/20
to Jim Manley, William Steele, uKenbak-1
Just to add momentum to the discussion, I am very interested in what is going on about a KEMBAK-1 full size kit  :)

Frank Prindle

William Steele

Mar 23, 2020, 9:46:31 AM3/23/20
to uKenbak-1
I used modern low power chips in my design.  In fact. it's running off a small wall wart instead of the big power supply in the original one.

Bill

Chris Davis

Mar 23, 2020, 3:26:13 PM3/23/20
to uKenbak-1
So how difficult do you think it would be to turn your work into a KiCad schematic?  I looked at John Blankenbaker's technical documentation and unfortunately, it's too technical for me!

Chris Davis

Apr 22, 2020, 9:29:31 AM4/22/20
to uKenbak-1
The manufacturer is sending the prototype out today.  They sent a photo, I guess to prove it exists!

case.jpg

William Steele

Apr 22, 2020, 9:33:49 AM4/22/20
to uKenbak-1
I'll take two!!!  I need to start designing the main board, I guess. ;-)

Bill

John Kennedy

Apr 22, 2020, 1:12:46 PM4/22/20
to uKenbak-1
Haha that's just fantastic! Can't wait to see them for sale on eBay as "museum quality" :-) :-) :-)

bmitchely

Apr 25, 2020, 9:25:01 AM4/25/20
to uKenbak-1
Oh that is loverly! Where do I send my money?

Chris Davis

May 4, 2020, 2:24:36 PM5/4/20
to uKenbak-1
It finally arrived.  I am pleased with the result.
IMG_2716.jpg
IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0462.JPG

John Kennedy

May 4, 2020, 3:37:59 PM5/4/20
to uKenbak-1
Amazing!

Vicente González

May 4, 2020, 5:23:06 PM5/4/20
to John Kennedy, uKenbak-1
Yeeeeeeees!

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 3:38 PM John Kennedy <johntk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Amazing!

Tom Lake

May 4, 2020, 5:28:00 PM5/4/20
to uKenbak-1
Looking good! The case ain't bad, either. :^)
You and Blankenbaker could almost be twins!
My fingers are itching to reach for my credit card.

Tom L

Tom Lake

Oct 26, 2020, 6:59:32 AM10/26/20
to uKenbak-1
Is a full-sized case still in the works or has COVID killed it?

famousd...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2020, 3:57:56 PM10/26/20
to uKenbak-1
Actually warmer weather and busier days put it on hold.  I actually just ordered a test batch of circuit boards today, so I might have a prototype finished in a week or so.

wjst...@hotmail.com

Nov 22, 2020, 4:35:42 PM11/22/20
to uKenbak-1
Oh my... those look fantastic!!!  I did mention I want two, right? ;-D

Bill