Extending my shift key /Assigning shift to another key

M A

May 31, 2021, 6:03:38 PM5/31/21
to Ukelele Users
I'm trying to figure out how to extend my shift key. I'm used to a US keyboard layout but had to buy a new mac in a different country so the shift key and enter key sizes are split in half making me have to extend my pinky further which is frustrating.  I can modify the key next to enter, but cannot figure out how to do it with the key next to shift.

For clarity I want to assign shift to the key next to shift (which is the `~ key on my keyboard).

Picture attached to show an example of the differences.

A breakdown of the steps would be helpful! Many thanks.

item_XL_23048085_32426674.jpeg

John Brownie

Jun 1, 2021, 12:30:58 AM6/1/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
This can't be done with a keyboard layout like Ukelele creates. You can't change a modifier key to a regular key or vice versa. Have a look at some of the other apps such as Karabiner, for which you'll find links in the manual.

John

Kouvola, Finland

Sorin Paliga

Jun 1, 2021, 3:13:41 AM6/1/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
In my/our case, the Europeans, the discomfort is exactly vice-versa: when we buy a U.S. keyboard! For the European languages, the extra key left to Z is another useful detail, mainly for those languages which do need this extra key.
My humble suggestion is to get accustomed to this configuration, it requires a minimal effort, you will type erroneously several times, but, after several attempts, you’ll get through it.
If you insist, try Karabiner, this is an app which does exactly what you need: it modifies these system keys:

<item_XL_23048085_32426674.jpeg>

Gé van Gasteren

Jun 1, 2021, 10:40:34 AM6/1/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi, welcome to the club!
I like that extra key for the added character, but you’re right: My fingers also think that the left Shift key is too small.

One thing you can do with Ukelele is: make that key produce nothing. Just create a copy of your standard layout with the command New From Current Input Source and delete the output defined for that key.
That way, you don’t have a larger Shift key, but at least you don’t get random  ̀ ̀ ̀ ̀ ̀ ̀ stuff inserted.

If you do this, you’ll discover that MacOS doesn’t let you remove the default keyboard layout: at least one non-custom layout has to be present.

Let us know how you’re faring!

M A

Jun 1, 2021, 11:11:54 AM6/1/21
to Ukelele Users
Thanks everyone.  Thought of using karabiner but it seems it was incompatible and caused system issues in the past with big sur, so i wanted to avoid it. I guess i'll just have to suck it up and allow my fingers to just adjust! but I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering haha. I appreciate your help though!