Cyrillic keyboard, Cmd+X works, but Cmd+C does not

Tigran S.

May 29, 2024, 7:21:50 AMMay 29
to Ukelele Users
Hi,

I have created a Russian keyboard layout using Ukelele, where the keys S, C, J are dead-keys. The issue is that the Cut shortcut (Cmd+X) works, but the Copy shortcut (Cmd+C) does not work, instead it inputs the first letter of dead-key.

Is it possible to tweak the layout so that the Cmd+C, Cmd+S do copy and save as expects.
You can install the "Russian Mnemonic R" keyboard for macOS and try the copy and cut shortcuts.

Thanks

John Brownie

May 29, 2024, 7:46:51 AMMay 29
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
At a quick look, the issue is probably that the key map for no modifiers includes the command key combinations. What would be needed is to add a new modifier combination set for the command key, and make S, C and J into non-dead keys in that key map.

So what you would do is the following:
  1. Open the keyboard layout in Ukelele
  2. Switch to the Modifiers tab
  3. Click the + button at bottom left
  4. Set Command to be Down and click OK
  5. In the dialog that comes up, select Copy of other key map, and ensure that 0 is chosen. You can also select Unlinked, though I’m not certain that it’s necessary.
  6. Switch back to the Keyboard tab
  7. For each of the three dead keys, with the command key down, double-click the key. In the dialog, choose the Make Output tab and enter the appropriate output for the key.

Hopefully that would work. I haven’t tried it myself, but I think it should do what you want.

John

Gé van Gasteren

May 29, 2024, 8:22:06 AMMay 29
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John!
I had done some experimenting with unlinking, without success. So I followed your steps, and it looks like it's working as it should now.

Tigran:
I have reassigned all combinations with the Command modifier (and changed them to Output when applicable), so also Command-Q will quit a program. I hope that was along your line of thought.

You can open the bundle in Ukelele and change its name through the command: Set Keyboard Name and Script.

Good luck!
RUM fixed.bundle.zip