When I type paired characters, I want the input to end up between the characters

P. Baehr

Jun 4, 2021, 6:54:22 AM6/4/21
to Ukelele Users
Hi friendly Ukelele community,

Is there a way to type [], {} and similar paired characters, as a single key-press, but have the curser end up inside the brackets? Some text editors do this, but I want to set up my Ukelele keyboard to do this. Is it possible?

I can't find a unicode control character for this scenario. Is there one?

Thanks!

Sorin Paliga

Jun 4, 2021, 7:37:53 AM6/4/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
If you assign this succession it should work, I have never tried, though!

Sorin Paliga
Sent from my iPhone

On 4 Jun 2021, at 13:54, P. Baehr <pba...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi friendly Ukelele community,

Is there a way to type [], {} and similar paired characters, as a single key-press, but have the curser end up inside the brackets? Some text editors do this, but I want to set up my Ukelele keyboard to do this. Is it possible?

I can't find a unicode control character for this scenario. Is there one?

Thanks!

P. Baehr

Jun 4, 2021, 8:37:43 PM6/4/21
to Ukelele Users
Hi Cattus, Thanks for offering help. Which succession do you mean? I don't see an example, an image, or an attachment. Thanks again!

Sorin Paliga

Jun 5, 2021, 1:38:25 AM6/5/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
For eample, you choose to get
[]
via the combination Option/Alt+[
In the Key Output, type []
Save the keylayout, and follow the steps to install it, restart required or at least log out and in again (some apps do not detect the new keylayout if not restarting)

On 5 Jun 2021, at 03:37, P. Baehr <pba...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Cattus, Thanks for offering help. Which succession do you mean? I don't see an example, an image, or an attachment. Thanks again!

scalwo

Jun 9, 2021, 7:24:42 PM6/9/21
to Ukelele Users
I don't know if it is possible to do a left_arrow in a string in ukelele (I couldn't figure out how to).  This type of thing is easy to do in karabiner-elements, which I use in conjunction with ukelele.  Ukelele gives me the symbols, and karabiner-elements remaps the keys.  So for example I use karabiner-elements to remap a double press of option and another key to a sequence of a dead key followed by that other key (it's easier to double press option than type a dead-key or multiple modifier keys).

Gé van Gasteren

Jun 9, 2021, 8:03:44 PM6/9/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I’ve tried putting U+0008 into a string assigned to a key, but it didn’t work.

So it looks like your best bet is to assign the entire sequence: [ ] <cursor left> in Karabiner.

John Brownie

Jun 14, 2021, 1:50:03 AM6/14/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Another thought is that what is wanted is a keyboard macro, so something
like Keyboard Maestro would be the way to handle it. A macro would allow
entry of text and cursor positioning. It sounds as though Karabiner does
this as well, but I haven't used it enough to know for sure.

John
--
John Brownie
Kouvola, Finland

Gé van Gasteren

Jun 14, 2021, 6:45:55 AM6/14/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hey, that looks like a great utility!
I know that there are lots of automation possibilities in Mac OS, but I never got around to really working with them.
This utility seems to make that much easier.
So I downloaded Keyboard Maestro and tried it right away.
It’s rather loaded with option, so I’ll have to read the manual at some point, but I got the OP’s goal of   [  ->   [ | ] working nicely:
Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 12.38.04.png

After the trial period (how long is that?) Keyboard Maestro is 36 US$ in the US, but 43 in the UK or Europe, I guess because of taxes.

Message has been deleted