See unicode(s) for key

Mark David

Jan 3, 2022, 1:44:30 AM1/3/22
to Ukelele Users
Hi, I'm new to Ukelele. I'm looking for a convenient or alternative ways to see the Unicode assigned to a key. I work with code points that either don't have any visual appearances, or it's hard to tell what they are from a glyph, and/or the same or similar looking glyph can have multiple different representations in Unicode.

So far, all I know how to do is right-click on a keycap, the choose Edit Key..., then look at the contents of the text box, showing one or more Unicode code points.  Is there any alternative way?

Thanks,
-Mark

Sorin Paliga

Jan 3, 2022, 1:56:57 AM1/3/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Unicode checker

Mark David

Jan 3, 2022, 2:16:39 AM1/3/22
to Ukelele Users

Thanks, but although Unicode checker looks like a useful tool, I'm just looking for some other ways in the Ukelele app itself to see what Unicode(s) are assigned to a given key. Thank you.

Sorin Paliga

Jan 3, 2022, 2:44:22 AM1/3/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Inside Ukelele, only John Brownie could add an outright feature. But if you use copy-paste from UKELELE to U.C., you can identify the U code very fast indeed.
Nisus Writer also has the internal feature of displaying the U code.

John Brownie

Jan 3, 2022, 3:53:52 AM1/3/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com, Sorin Paliga
Use the Inspector, which shows the Unicode value and description for the
key under the pointer. View menu, Show Inspector, and choose the Output tab.

John
--
John Brownie
Turku, Finland

Mark David

Jan 5, 2022, 1:13:04 PM1/5/22
to Ukelele Users
Thank you John! This is amazingly better than what I originally knew how to do.
If you're looking for suggestions to improve things further, I would love:
- display this output as a tooltip, possibly only as a View menu option (toggle)
- also show a description of the input key combination (modifier+keycap) that results in the output, e.g., Shift+T (useful for documenting)
- have a gesture to copy the output (or input and output) to the clipboard
Thanks!
-Mark

John Brownie

Jan 8, 2022, 2:22:27 AM1/8/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Mark David wrote on 5/1/2022 20:13:
> Thank you John! This is amazingly better than what I originally knew
> how to do.
> If you're looking for suggestions to improve things further, I would love:
> - display this output as a tooltip, possibly only as a View menu
> option (toggle)
That's probably pretty easy to do, though the tooltip may get to be
rather large for some outputs.
> - also show a description of the input key combination
> (modifier+keycap) that results in the output, e.g., Shift+T (useful
> for documenting)
There's a command in the Edit menu, Find Key Stroke…, that does this for
a specified output.
> - have a gesture to copy the output (or input and output) to the clipboard
Again, that could be fairly easy.

As has been noted, I've been working a long time on a completely new
version, moved to Swift from the current mix of Objective C and C++, and
built with SwiftUI, Apple's latest framework for building applications.
It will require macOS 11 (Big Sur), so the current version will need to
stay around for older systems. It's coming along, with much of the basic
functionality there, but still some major areas to work through.

So, I may find time to add some updates to the existing version, but
most of my energy goes to building the new version.