Uninstalling a custom keyboard layout (completely)

David Harrison

Dec 2, 2016, 7:55:18 AM12/2/16
to Ukelele Users
Hello,

I was wondering if there was an easy way to fully remove a custom keyboard created in Ukulele from the system? I created a keyboard which I will not use and have deleted it from ~/library/Keyboard Layouts, but in the list of possible input sources under 'Other', this keyboard is still appearing.

I would like to create a new keyboard using the same name, so I would prefer to have all traces of the old one removed. Is there any way to do this? Thanks.

Sorin Paliga

Dec 2, 2016, 8:04:32 AM12/2/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
If that is the only copy in the system, it should not show up after restart.

David Harrison

Dec 2, 2016, 8:09:29 AM12/2/16
to Ukelele Users
For some reason it is still showing up. I don't mean it shows in the languages already selected for input, but rather when I click '+' to add a new language and view the list of possible languages, my custom keyboard appears under 'Other' along with Unicode Hex. I don't know where any other copies could be hiding.

John Brownie

Dec 2, 2016, 8:59:53 AM12/2/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
David Harrison wrote:
> For some reason it is still showing up. I don't mean it shows in the
> languages already selected for input, but rather when I click '+' to
> add a new language and view the list of possible languages, my custom
> keyboard appears under 'Other' along with Unicode Hex. I don't know
> where any other copies could be hiding.
Maybe it's been installed in /Library/Keyboard Layouts as well? The
simplest way that I can think of is to use something like EasyFind or
Find Any File to search your disk for the keyboard layout file. If it's
not there, then a restart should certainly make it disappear from System
Preferences.

John
--
John Brownie
In Finland on furlough from SIL Papua New Guinea

David Harrison

Dec 2, 2016, 9:39:23 AM12/2/16
to Ukelele Users
Thanks - I tried EasyFind which found no results, but my keyboard is still appearing under 'Other' even though I have deleted, restarted and searched for any remaining files.

I am looking at the Ukelele uninstall helper file, as I am new to Mac, I am unsure how to use these. Do I copy them into the terminal and press return?

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.sil.Ukelele.KeyboardInstallerTool.plist
sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.sil.Ukelele.KeyboardInstallerTool.plist
sudo rm /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/org.sil.Ukelele.KeyboardInstallerTool

sudo security -q authorizationdb remove "org.sil.ukelele.installKeyboardLayout"
sudo security -q authorizationdb remove "org.sil.ukelele.uninstallHelperTool"
Message has been deleted

John Brownie

Dec 2, 2016, 9:51:21 AM12/2/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
David Harrison wrote:
> Thanks - I tried EasyFind which found no results, but my keyboard is
> still appearing under 'Other' even though I have deleted, restarted
> and searched for any remaining files.
That is getting very strange, then. Did you search the whole computer,
or just your Home folder? Did you search package contents, and invisible
files? Could it be stored with a different name? The file name is not
necessarily related to the keyboard name that appears in System Preferences.
> I am looking at the Ukelele uninstall helper file, as I am new to Mac,
> I am unsure how to use these. Do I copy them into the terminal and
> press return?
That won't help with this. It's a way to remove the helper application
which provides authenticated file operations for installing a keyboard
layout. It's provided for those who want to completely remove the
Ukelele application.

David Harrison

Dec 2, 2016, 10:03:24 AM12/2/16
to Ukelele Users
Yes, it's very odd. I searched the whole computer including hidden files. I should say I am using Sierra. It is also odd because the keyboard is still appearing with the flag icon I created. I have deleted all traces of the file and uninstalled Ukelele, but it still appears under 'Others'. The file and keyboard name were the same so I don't think that could be a problem. Also, before I uninstalled Ukulele, I could load the keyboard in the 'use current input' option, so it appears the computer still has a record of this layout somewhere! I wonder if I create another keyboard with the same name, would it create problems? Thanks for your help and quick responses.

Tom Gewecke

Dec 2, 2016, 10:18:20 AM12/2/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

> On Dec 2, 2016, at 8:03 AM, David Harrison <harris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> it still appears under 'Others’.

Can you still add it to the active list and use it to type?

David Harrison

Dec 2, 2016, 10:29:12 AM12/2/16
to Ukelele Users
Yes. I can add it to the active list. I can use it to type on Safari but it won't activate on Pages - I was previously able to use it on Pages.

David Harrison

Dec 2, 2016, 11:40:38 AM12/2/16
to Ukelele Users
Thanks all - The problem was solved by booting in Safe Mode!

Sorin Paliga

Dec 2, 2016, 11:58:10 AM12/2/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Did you restart the machine? If yes, does it show up too? If yes, you must have another copy, find it using Spotlight.

Gé van Gasteren

Dec 2, 2016, 12:12:42 PM12/2/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I hope you’re clear about the difference between the internal name for a keyboard layout (the one appearing in the list when you click on the flag in the menu bar) and the file name.

That said, I think I’ve had some glitches (with El Capitan) where it didn’t find stuff in the Finder, even if I didn’t mistype the file name.
So have a look in the three places where a keyboard layout can be: [root]/Library/Keyboard Layouts, System/Library/Keyboard Layouts, and Users/<your user name>/Library/Keyboard Layouts.

I’m not that familiar with Safe Mode, but I guess it simply doesn’t load any non-System keyboard layouts, even if they are there, so that result you got probably doesn’t mean much.

Hope this helps.

On 2 Dec 2016, at 14:55, David Harrison <harris...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if there was an easy way to fully remove a custom keyboard created in Ukulele from the system? I created a keyboard which I will not use and have deleted it from ~/library/Keyboard Layouts, but in the list of possible input sources under 'Other', this keyboard is still appearing.

I would like to create a new keyboard using the same name, so I would prefer to have all traces of the old one removed. Is there any way to do this? Thanks.

David Harrison

Dec 2, 2016, 12:54:13 PM12/2/16
to Ukelele Users
Hi Geke, thanks for the advice. Apparently booting in Safe Mode clears the cache - the keyboard and file name were the same and I had checked all location it could be in, so it appears the cache was keeping a copy of it somewhere. The custom keyboard does not appear after booting in safe mode, then restarting again in normal mode.

Tom Gewecke

Dec 2, 2016, 12:57:36 PM12/2/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 2, 2016, at 10:12 AM, Gé van Gasteren <gevang...@gmail.com> wrote:

I’m not that familiar with Safe Mode, but I guess it simply doesn’t load any non-System keyboard layouts, even if they are there, so that result you got probably doesn’t mean much.

Safe Mode erases all kinds of cache files, one of which was most likely causing the strange behavior in this case.

Gé van Gasteren

Dec 2, 2016, 4:16:26 PM12/2/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Oh wow, that’s an important bit of knowledge!
So it may be useful to start up in Safe Mode from time to time, or when issues come up.

Tom Gewecke

Dec 2, 2016, 4:50:05 PM12/2/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 2, 2016, at 2:16 PM, Gé van Gasteren <gevang...@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh wow, that’s an important bit of knowledge!
So it may be useful to start up in Safe Mode from time to time, or when issues come up.

It is one of the most useful things you can do to potentially solve strange behavior.  Especially if you have a font problem which doesn’t go away via Fontbook > File > Restore Standard Fonts.