Custom keyboard is working in Ms Word but Excel and Visual Studio Code NO!

Ahmet Karagöz

Oct 21, 2021, 2:58:08 PM10/21/21
to Ukelele Users
Hello,

I use MacOS Big Sur 11.6. I have designed custom keyboard layout.

When I use Safari + Apple Mail , Ms Word it works perfectly. However Ms Excel, visual Studio Code some keys are working however the one I have modified is not working properly.

I couldn't understand the logic behind each application has different reaction to my custom keyboard layout.

Thanks,

Sorin Paliga

Oct 21, 2021, 3:37:46 PM10/21/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Which key, specifically? Perhaps it interferes with the system commands.
What does ‘’… is not working properly’’ mean?

Gé van Gasteren

Oct 21, 2021, 5:56:08 PM10/21/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Yes, please give a little more information!

Some applications do override the definitions in the active keyboard layout, built-in or custom.
This is not necessarily bad: In Photoshop, single letters work as commands when no text field is being edited – which is most of the time.

But yes, it can be annoying, e.g. the 2011 edition of MS Word for Mac changed the output for Option + any of the keys on the top row.
Fortunately, they took that out again in the 2016 edition.

So it may well be that nothing can be done and you just have to pick a different keystroke for some of the characters you need, if you want your layout to work the same in all applications.