keyboard disappear prom the list after editing

34 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Roland Hüse

ongelezen,
18 sep 2021, 03:53:3518-09-2021
aan Ukelele Users
Hi guys,

I am new to this software I experience a strange issue once I create a new layout and start modify it, the save and paste into keyboard layouts. It shows up and I can set it from the "Other" menu in system preferences.However, after continuing editing, applying changes and save and paste again, it disappear from the menu and I can not place it back.

Could you please advise?

Thanks and have a great weekend all,
Roland

Gé van Gasteren

ongelezen,
18 sep 2021, 08:29:2518-09-2021
aan ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roland,

Better follow the guidelines in the first part of the PDF manual, which you can find in Ukelele’s Help menu.

Two pieces of advice:
• Don’t install your custom keyboard layouts by pasting/dragging them into the Library folder.
• Best practice is to give your layouts version numbers or some kind of tag inside Ukelele, so that every new version has a different name.
That way, you can see which version you’re using (in the Flag menu) and also macOS won’t confuse them.

So how to install? Use Ukelele’s built-in Organiser:
Ukelele / File / Install / Show Organiser, click on "Set Folder…", navigate to the place where you saved your custom keyboard layout and drag it to one of the other columns to install it either for All Users or just for the Current User.

Then Ukelele will prompt you to log out your user and back in.
Keyboard layouts may appear without doing that, but certainly if you’re working with different versions, this is necessary to let macOS refresh its list of installed keyboard layouts.

Please post your progress :)

Roland Hüse

ongelezen,
19 sep 2021, 01:34:5219-09-2021
aan Ukelele Users
Thank you so much,

It turned out that some of the unicode caused the problem. It works for now.
The installation organiser is great advice thank you!

However, another question came out as I go: how to set the writing direction to "From right to left" these options under "Format - Text - Writing directions" are blank. How to enable this option?

Greetings,
Roland

Gé van Gasteren

ongelezen,
19 sep 2021, 03:40:2819-09-2021
aan ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roland,

Glad you got it figured out!

Re. RTL, I don’t know. I thought that, if you use characters that are designated as "normally RTL" in the Unicode table, that should work by itself.

Maybe Sorin can advise you about which applications work well with RTL.
Otherwise, Tom is the expert in that field …

Sorin Paliga

ongelezen,
19 sep 2021, 03:45:5219-09-2021
aan ukelel...@googlegroups.com
AFAIK, RTL works with language defined as ‘’RTL scripts’. I once created a keylayout for Etruscan, a language with Unicode area. It was initially written from right to left, then from left to right. If a language is not codified as an ‘’RTL script’’, the only solution is to choose an app capable of ‘’custom RTL’’. The only one I know is Mellel, I once tested it when creating the mentioned keylayout. You may download and test it if you like.
Why do you need RTL for non-RTL use?

Roland Hüse

ongelezen,
19 sep 2021, 06:10:0119-09-2021
aan Ukelele Users
Thanks so much guys,

I would actually need this for an RTL script I am working around the keylayout for. But I am not sure the script is defined as RTL in Glyphs App in which I designed the font with.

As the language itself is not RTL however the historic writing system of it is (Historic form, pre-latin)

Sorin Paliga

ongelezen,
19 sep 2021, 06:41:5519-09-2021
aan ukelel...@googlegroups.com
OK, so your script is perhaps Etruscan = Old Italic which indeed initially was an RTL script, later LTR. In this case, you need an app capable of switching from LTR to RTL at user’s wish. AFAIK, the only app allowing this is Mellel, but maybe I’m wrong, you must test this.

Tom Gewecke

ongelezen,
19 sep 2021, 06:43:1219-09-2021
aan ukelel...@googlegroups.com

> On Sep 19, 2021, at 6:10 AM, Roland Hüse <rolan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks so much guys,
>
> I would actually need this for an RTL script I am working around the keylayout for. But I am not sure the script is defined as RTL in Glyphs App in which I designed the font with.

I think the important thing is that the range of Unicode where your glyphs are located is defined as RTL. Is that the case?

Sorin Paliga

ongelezen,
19 sep 2021, 06:51:1319-09-2021
aan ukelel...@googlegroups.com
It does not seem so, he simply wants to force write RTL in a LTR script with LTR glyphs. He mentioned Old Italic, so it is quite clear.
> --

Gé van Gasteren

ongelezen,
19 sep 2021, 07:00:2619-09-2021
aan ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Roland, would you like to talk a little about the custom font you created for the script?

It seems that using the Etruscan range would be a workable idea, if your script is not included in Unicode.

Or you could use the Private Use Area to be more in line with Unicode guidelines, if you can get an application to treat the characters RTL.

Tom Gewecke

ongelezen,
19 sep 2021, 07:48:2519-09-2021
aan ukelel...@googlegroups.com

> On Sep 19, 2021, at 6:10 AM, Roland Hüse <rolan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I would actually need this for an RTL script I am working around the keylayout for.

One thing to try would be to add U+202e (right to left override) to your keyboard and precede any text you create with that character. This might work to generate RTL with apps other than Mellel.

Roland Hüse

ongelezen,
20 sep 2021, 02:37:2020-09-2021
aan Ukelele Users
Thank you!

The script is Old Hungarian and it works now RTL on notes and word editor (like system apps) but not in Photoshop or Illustrator (despite I set the text direction options in these to the RTL).

I did an extension of this script for Roboto Sans as well a custom font of my own. So it all starts looking good apart from the photoshop issue that does not allow me to insert text by typing but copy paste only.

I think this issue now is outside Ukulele so no longer relevant to mention stuff like Photoshop and third party apps.

Thank you guys so much for the support and help! Really appreciate this.

Gé van Gasteren

ongelezen,
20 sep 2021, 05:40:4820-09-2021
aan ukelel...@googlegroups.com
One last try: have a look at this StackExchange page.

I can’t set this in my Photoshop CS6, so I guess it only works in CC.

Roland Hüse

ongelezen,
21 sep 2021, 07:48:0121-09-2021
aan Ukelele Users

Thank you I have tried this as well, there is a font replacement each time I set the direction and it changed back to default (Myriad Pro) with noted characters. After that, I change the fonts then it displays LTR again. It's in Photoshop CC.

Once I figure this out I'll post the update,
Thanks so much again and Best Wishes,
Roland

Sorin Paliga

ongelezen,
21 sep 2021, 07:52:2721-09-2021
aan ukelel...@googlegroups.com
The game with fonts, custom RTL (i.e. not properly defined as RTL in Unicode) and applications is and will be a game with fate. Have you tried Mellel?

Roland Hüse

ongelezen,
21 sep 2021, 08:19:5821-09-2021
aan Ukelele Users
I have checked it out it looks promising I have to give it a try. At the end of the day, I am still going to need it in Photoshop and Illustrator.

Sorin Paliga

ongelezen,
21 sep 2021, 08:20:5921-09-2021
aan ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hm… I do hope the Adobe series will do its job.

Gé van Gasteren

ongelezen,
21 sep 2021, 08:46:5221-09-2021
aan ukelel...@googlegroups.com
It looks like there have been some related issues with different Photoshop CC versions:

But the main reason for posting this URL here is that you can see from the answers by Adobe admin "dmohr" that he may be the right person to discuss your problem with.
His name is David Mohr on the current support community website:
I don’t see a way to contact him directly, so you’d have to post a question on the forum, maybe mentioning his name.

Allen beantwoorden
Auteur beantwoorden
Doorsturen
0 nieuwe berichten