Assistance Request - Ukulele Layout Language Issue

Sun Tzu

Mar 5, 2024, 8:47:20 AMMar 5
to Ukelele Users
Dear Ukulele Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I would like to inform you about an issue as a user of the Ukulele program on my computer, where the primary language is Turkish. I created a layout through your Ukulele software, and it needs to function in the Arabic language. However, when using this layout in Microsoft Word, I noticed that Arabic words are being detected as Turkish.

Ekran Resmi 2024-03-05 14.57.55.png

Despite disabling the automatic language detection in Microsoft Word, the Ukulele layout is still being recognized as Turkish. This situation is causing inaccuracies in processing texts written in Arabic.

I am in need of your assistance to resolve this issue. I kindly request adjustments to be made to ensure that the Ukulele layout is recognized in the correct language. Additionally, I would appreciate being informed about any updates on this matter.

Thank you in advance for your assistance, and I look forward to your prompt response regarding this matter.

Best regards

Tom Gewecke

Sun Tzu

Mar 8, 2024, 8:29:11 AMMar 8
to Ukelele Users

Following your advice, I saved the layout in .bundle format. However, when I try to install it through the Ukulele application, it appears as a folder icon instead of a keyboard. Despite the installation process proceeding, the layout doesn't seem to be making it onto my computer.

Ekran Resmi 2024-03-08 12.02.31.pngEkran Resmi 2024-03-08 12.04.44.png

Tom

Mar 8, 2024, 10:02:18 AMMar 8
to Ukelele Users
I would try just dragging your .bundle file directly into Library/Keyboard Layouts, logout/login, and then try to find it in the Arabic section of the input sources settings (assuming you set the language to arabic inside the .bundle).

Gé van Gasteren

Mar 8, 2024, 4:24:31 PMMar 8
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
You can do as Tom suggested, but judging from your description, you have installed the bundle correctly.
The folder icon simply indicates that you are installing all keyboard layouts inside the bundle, not single keyboard layouts.
If you don’t want all of them, you can still follow the same procedure with Organiser, only after finishing, you go to the Keyboard settings and remove the input sources you don’t need.

I hope you have followed Ukelele’s advice and logged out and back in after installing the layout?

By the way: if you assign Arapça to the keyboard layout(s) in your bundle, as you wanted to do, it will show up in the list of Input Sources under that heading, not under "Others".

To reduce the number of unknowns, you could upload your keyboard layout, or if you don’t want to make it publicly available yet, send it in a private message to me.
Then it will be easier to determine if there is a problem with the bundle or with the installation procedure.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 2:29 PM Sun Tzu <097s...@gmail.com> wrote:

Following your advice, I saved the layout in .bundle format. However, when I try to install it through the Ukulele application, it appears as a folder icon instead of a keyboard. Despite the installation process proceeding, the layout doesn't seem to be making it onto my computer.

Ekran Resmi 2024-03-08 12.02.31.pngEkran Resmi 2024-03-08 12.04.44.png

Sun Tzu

Mar 9, 2024, 9:53:05 AMMar 9
to Ukelele Users
I have followed your suggestion, dragging the .bundle file directly into Library/Keyboard Layouts. After logging out and logging back in, I attempted to locate it in the Arabic section of the input sources settings. However, I must admit that I'm not sure how to set the language to Arabic inside the .bundle file. Could you please provide more detailed instructions on how to specify the language as Arabic within the .bundle file?

Gé van Gasteren

Mar 9, 2024, 10:13:20 AMMar 9
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
All right, we're getting closer with every new information :-)

Before changing anything to the bundle, you'll have to take it out of the folder where you've moved it to install it (Library/Keyboard Layouts).
This is because you shouldn't be editing something while it is being used by macOS.
To play it safe, log off and back on after moving it out of Library/Keyboard Layouts, so macOS isn't confused.

When it's back in your "work folder", you can open it with Ukelele.
There will be two windows: one is the keyboard layout diagram, the other is the Bundle window.
Here's an example, where in fact the language has been set already:
bundle with 1 layout.jpg
The bundle can include many keyboard layouts, so before you can change the Language setting for one of them, you have to click on its row:
bundle with 1 layout highlighted.jpg
Then you can click on the Language… button and bring up the following dialog:
setting the language to Arabic.jpg
Type "ar" in the field top left, then click on "Arabic" in the list next to it.

Click OK at the bottom of the window and you have successfully set the language.

If things don't really work out with these my instructions: you can find more details on this in the PDF manual, starting from page 22.

Good luck, please report your progress :-)

On Sat, Mar 9, 2024 at 3:53 PM Sun Tzu <097s...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have followed your suggestion, dragging the .bundle file directly into Library/Keyboard Layouts. After logging out and logging back in, I attempted to locate it in the Arabic section of the input sources settings. However, I must admit that I'm not sure how to set the language to Arabic inside the .bundle file. Could you please provide more detailed instructions on how to specify the language as Arabic within the .bundle file?

Sorin Paliga

Mar 9, 2024, 10:27:10 AMMar 9
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 16.54.46.png