cmd keyboard combinations

Climate Tipping

May 29, 2024, 1:00:19 PMMay 29
to Ukelele Users
Dear all,
what I'm about to ask, has surely been answered already at some point, but I cannot find it. I'm trying to print { by pressing cmd + 7. I can easily make the assignment within ukelele. Then I save the keyboard layout, install it for the current, log out, log in and activate the keyboard layout. However, the combination wouldn't work, althogh the keyboard viewer displays it just as assigned in ukelele. Is it possible at all to reassign the cmd + any other key combinations?
Any help is welcome. I write a lot of latex so I frequently use { and I'm used to a windows keyboard layout so the natural keyboard combination would be cmd + 7.

Gé van Gasteren

May 29, 2024, 1:19:13 PMMay 29
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Command + [something] isn’t recommended for custom keyboard layouts in macOS.
That’s because it can be assigned in Ukelele, but most apps don’t support it – as you have found out.

Would you be OK with using the Control key instead?
Don’t think it’s used for commands like in MS Windows: it’s hardly used in macOS, and it has mainly been included on Apple keyboards to make them work with MS Windows.

Climate Tipping

May 30, 2024, 3:49:11 AMMay 30
to Ukelele Users
thank you for the clarification. I will try the control key, sounds like the best alternative. However, I must say transitioning from linux to mac really is a pain.

Gé van Gasteren

May 30, 2024, 4:08:15 AMMay 30
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 9:49 AM Climate Tipping <climate...@gmail.com> wrote:
thank you for the clarification. I will try the control key, sounds like the best alternative. However, I must say transitioning from linux to mac really is a pain.

:-) Transitioning is a pain, generally!

Maybe this will ease the pain: Have you checked out the System Settings where you can customize the placement of the modifier keys on the keyboard?
They are a bit hidden away: Go to the Keyboard panel, then click on Keyboard Shortcuts, then choose Modifier Keys:
image.png

Climate Tipping

May 30, 2024, 4:28:01 AMMay 30
to Ukelele Users
oh yeah, these I already customized. Thanks :)
But regarding your suggestion using ctrl key +7 to type { : that unfortunately also does not work. When I change the output accordingly in ukelele, install the keyboardmap, log out and in and select the map, then not even the keyboard viewer shows the correct assignment of the key combination. All other changes, which I did simultaneously are perfectly well implemented.

John Brownie

May 30, 2024, 5:07:28 AMMay 30
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On 30 May 2024 at 11:28:01, Climate Tipping <climate...@gmail.com> wrote:
oh yeah, these I already customized. Thanks :)
But regarding your suggestion using ctrl key +7 to type { : that unfortunately also does not work. When I change the output accordingly in ukelele, install the keyboardmap, log out and in and select the map, then not even the keyboard viewer shows the correct assignment of the key combination. All other changes, which I did simultaneously are perfectly well implemented.

You could try option-control-7. Sometimes the control key combinations are silently consumed by the operating system, along the lines of emacs commands.

John

Gé van Gasteren

May 30, 2024, 7:33:07 AMMay 30
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I’m sorry to hear that.

I had written that suggestion rather carelessly, keeping my fingers crossed that it would work with your software, but after all, in the manual section "What Ukelele can’t do", there is one point reading:

• Control key combinations often do not work as desired. Often, control key combinations are
simply ignored, and sometimes they do something unexpected. There are some ways
around some, if not all, of the limitations, but these are not for the faint of heart!

If John’s idea with Option-Control doesn’t work either, please consider writing a little more about what you’re trying to achieve with this keyboard layout.
There may be other approaches to it.

Climate Tipping

May 30, 2024, 8:15:31 AMMay 30
to Ukelele Users
thanks a lot for all the advice. I would have preferred control + 7 but I guess if that also that also conflicts with some operating system i will just have to get used to option + 7  and similar combinations for \ , [ ] {} which I use quite a lot for python and latex. But that's all right. This solution using Ukelele already helped me to keep these signs where I am used to find them from years of using linux.

Gé van Gasteren

May 30, 2024, 8:50:14 AMMay 30
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 2:15 PM Climate Tipping <climate...@gmail.com> wrote:
thanks a lot for all the advice. I would have preferred control + 7 but I guess if that also that also conflicts with some operating system i will just have to get used to option + 7  and similar combinations for \ , [ ] {} which I use quite a lot for python and latex. But that's all right. This solution using Ukelele already helped me to keep these signs where I am used to find them from years of using linux.

How does the following way of working sound?
You dedicate the key top left on your keyboard as a kind of portal to a different world.
Typing first that  ` key (on the U.S. keyboard layout) then the 7 produces the {
Typing ` first then ... produces \
etc.
So basically typing the ` key switches to a completely new layout, where you can assign characters & symbols to all keys, plus Shift + those keys, etc.
And to type the ` itself, you would type it followed by a space.

Maybe you know all about this – it's also known as a "dead key", as the key by itself doesn't produce any output – but I thought to describe it anyway.
The advantage over using Option-combinations (in my opinion) is that you don't have to get your hand off the keyboard to hold down the Option key.

Tom

May 30, 2024, 9:18:52 AMMay 30
to Ukelele Users
Could you tell us what language keyboard it is that you are using where these characters ()[]{}\| are not just printed on the normal and shift levels of the keys like they are for English?

Climate Tipping

Jun 6, 2024, 9:21:04 AMJun 6
to Ukelele Users
'The advantage over using Option-combinations (in my opinion) is that you don't have to get your hand off the keyboard to hold down the Option key.' - exactly ;) I'm training myself in using the option key. I'm already getting used to it.

Climate Tipping

Jun 6, 2024, 9:23:19 AMJun 6
to Ukelele Users
I used to work on a linux with a german standard keyboard. Now, I still have the same usb keyboard, but a mac... so, I thought I could reconfigure the keyboard mapping such I don't have to get used to new combinations for the above mentioned symbols, which I use a lot in Python programming and latex writign.

Gé van Gasteren

Jun 8, 2024, 1:55:30 PMJun 8
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 3:23 PM Climate Tipping <climate...@gmail.com> wrote:
I used to work on a linux with a german standard keyboard. Now, I still have the same usb keyboard, but a mac... so, I thought I could reconfigure the keyboard mapping such I don't have to get used to new combinations for the above mentioned symbols, which I use a lot in Python programming and latex writign.

I’m confused:
1. You say you want to stick with the German standard keyboard layout.
2. You also say you want easier combinations for some symbols than those in the German standard keyboard layout.

How does that combine?
Have you activated the German keyboard layout that comes with the Mac, but needs to be activated?

image.png