MacOS keyboard viewer shows a different letter from the one in layout

Anna Talis

Jul 19, 2021, 2:06:18 PM7/19/21
to Ukelele Users

I'm modifying the MacOS native Russian phonetic keyboard.   I created a bundle from the current input source and swapped some letters around.  Three of the four works as expected but the fourth, although shows up correctly in Ukelele, actually maps to the original letter in the OS keyboard viewer and types that same letter as well.  I tried several times, thinking that maybe I did something wrong, but it's the same every time.

Here is the original layout:
original keyboard layout.png
Modified layout as shown in Ukelele:
modified keyboard layout - ukelele.png
The modified layout as shown by the OS keyboard viewer:
modified keyboard layout - in OS keyboard viewer.png
I'm attaching the layout bundle created by Ukelele.
Message has been deleted

Anna Talis

Jul 19, 2021, 2:21:25 PM7/19/21
to Ukelele Users
The attachment didn't go through for some reason

Anna Talis

Jul 19, 2021, 2:23:15 PM7/19/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Русская фонетическая.bundle.zip

Gé van Gasteren

Jul 19, 2021, 3:29:21 PM7/19/21
to Ukelele Users
Hi Atali,

Look closely: the view in Ukelele is not matching the view in the keyboard viewer. The difference is the key between the left Shift key and the з.

It seems Ukelele has had trouble to determine that your keyboard is of type ISO.
You can fix this in Ukelele by going to the menu View, choosing Keyboard Type, and there change ANSI into ISO.
Voilà!

Please report back if that worked.

Gé van Gasteren

Jul 19, 2021, 3:33:06 PM7/19/21
to Ukelele Users
Oh no, I messed up!
I meant that your keyboard is ANSI but Ukelele thinks it’s ISO!
So on that same menu View > Keyboard Type, you go to the dropdown menu "Coding" and change ISO into ANSI.

Tom Gewecke

Jul 19, 2021, 4:10:14 PM7/19/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I think you need to set the Keyboard Type in Ukelele to ANSI instead of ISO.

On Jul 19, 2021, at 2:21 PM, Anna Talis <atali...@gmail.com> wrote:

The attachment didn't go through for some reason

Gé van Gasteren

Jul 20, 2021, 9:27:14 AM7/20/21
to Ukelele Users
So, to make the story complete:
Before starting to edit your custom layout in Ukelele, make sure the text above the display says "Coding: ANSI", like this:

There aren’t many differences between ANSI and ISO, but one of them is that the key next to the 1 is swapped!

One advice: It’s good to give your custom keyboard layout a unique name. It avoids confusion and possible problems with macOS not knowing the difference.
When you use Ukelele’s command "New from current input source", it adds " copy" to the original name just for that reason. You can of course change that, e.g. into "AT1" or whatever works for you.
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 15.07.23.png

Gé van Gasteren

Jul 20, 2021, 9:35:14 AM7/20/21
to Ukelele Users
By the way, your attachment has come through at some point.
I’ve downloaded and opened it, and am now wondering how you will write Russian without the ю and Ю ?

Tom Gewecke

Jul 20, 2021, 10:13:01 AM7/20/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

> On Jul 20, 2021, at 9:35 AM, Gé van Gasteren <gevang...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> wondering how you will write Russian without the ю and Ю ?

Are those now over at the right edge of the layout after П?

Anna Talis

Jul 20, 2021, 10:18:18 AM7/20/21
to Ukelele Users
Ha ha, I can't write in Russian without that letter, which is why I'm trying to figure out how to fix the issue.  Thank you for all your suggestions, I'm going to try them later today.

Gé van Gasteren

Jul 20, 2021, 10:19:30 AM7/20/21
to Ukelele Users
> wondering how you will write Russian without the ю and Ю ?

Are those now over at the right edge of the layout after П?

No, they aren’t, but in the meantime, I figured it out:
She wants to put the ю on the key to the left of the 1 and the picture posted was of the unfinished layout.
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 16.13.41.png

Anna Talis

Jul 20, 2021, 10:26:25 PM7/20/21
to Ukelele Users

Switching the keyboard type to ANSI worked!  Now I can comfortably type in Russian (the built-in Russian Phonetic keyboard has a few keys switched around from what I'm used to, so I had to fumble for those keys - including ю). Thanks very much, both of you!  Спасибо! :–)

Gé van Gasteren

Jul 21, 2021, 3:17:53 AM7/21/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Great!

There’s one optional setting you may want to try out:
In the System Preferences > Input sources, you can activate switching between a Latin layout and a non-Latin layout with the CapsLock key.
In fact, that setting’s checkbox is also shown when you open a bundle in Ukelele.

I’m not sure if it works with custom non-Latin keyboard layouts, though.

Anna Talis

Jul 21, 2021, 10:43:32 AM7/21/21
to Ukelele Users

Yes, I am using a key combination, but it's Ctrl + Space, configurable in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Input Sources.  It would drive me crazy to go to the menu bar and pull down the language menu whenever I need to switch the keyboards 😊