Can't seem to install anything on Sonoma 14.4.1

Faust Harder

Apr 1, 2024, 1:28:12 PMApr 1
to Ukelele Users
Hi all!

I cant seem to be able to install anything since the new Mac update. It seems to show the keyboard is installed inside ukelele, but I cant find anything when I open Keyboard Settings.

Tried restarting the computer several times.
Am I saving something incorrectly?
Is the keyboard type wrong?

Thanks guys I am so lost.
Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.20.32 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.21.29 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.19.44 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.23.20 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.23.20 AM.png

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 1, 2024, 1:39:31 PMApr 1
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
There’s something strange going on, because when you install a bundle with Ukelele’s Organiser, it shows up with a folder icon in the right or middle column.
Not as a keyboard layout icon as shown in your screenshot.

See what happens if you remove the two installed .keylayout files, restart the Mac, and install the bundle again.

Faust Harder

Apr 1, 2024, 1:58:09 PMApr 1
to Ukelele Users

Second try, bundle is in there. restarted. still doesnt show up when i try. to add the keyboard :(
Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.54.50 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 11.56.28 AM.png

Faust Harder

Apr 1, 2024, 1:59:07 PMApr 1
to Ukelele Users
Western-Cree copy.bundle.zip

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 1, 2024, 5:34:28 PMApr 1
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, April 1, 2024 at 11:58:09 AM UTC-6 Faust Harder wrote:

Second try, bundle is in there. restarted. still doesnt show up when i try. to add the keyboard :(

Thanks for attaching your bundle! I did some experiments:
• I could install the bundle (Sonoma 14.3.1 here) but none of the three layouts contained in it showed up in the list of Input Sources in the System Settings.

• This didn’t change when I removed the two layouts with "funny" names.

• When I added another layout (a known-good one) to the bundle, set its Language to "Cree" and installed the bundle, only that layout showed up in the list.

So I conclude that your procedures are OK, but the keyboard layouts are somehow faulty.

When I open your layout in Ukelele, I don’t see anything special, except maybe that you have "empty" Dead keys on Option-z and Option-. (full stop).

I’m giving up for now…

Faust Harder

Apr 1, 2024, 7:40:49 PMApr 1
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Well! That’s at least a start.

Thanks for trouble shooting. I may be just have to make it again. 😭😭

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 2, 2024, 1:41:14 AMApr 2
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Let’s wait a little if John has time to analyze your layouts.

To give him some more info to go by, what are the differences between them?
image.png

John Brownie

Apr 2, 2024, 2:22:46 AMApr 2
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
There seems to be a reference to a non-existent state called "Long Vowels (z)” in all three keyboard layouts in the bundle, which means that they are invalid. Presumably this is a relic of hand-editing the XML, since I don’t think that Ukelele would allow this. It’s not checked by Ukelele, so this isn’t picked up.

It seems to be only an action named "ᑊ 1”. If you remove unused actions (Keyboard > Remove Unused Actions), it works. I attach a copy of the bundle with this fixed.

John
Western Cree fixed.zip