Changing layouts utilizing "Alt+Shift" windowslike

John Ukelele

Jan 11, 2023, 12:44:26 PM1/11/23
to Ukelele Users

Hi guys.

After using mac os for 5 year I finally discovered a pain-free method to change keyboard layouts by utilizing "Alt+Shift".

Most importantly it works even with custom layouts like Ukelele.

1. System Preferences > Keyboard > Press Fn key to > Change Input Source

Screenshot at Jan 11 19-22-17.png

Unlike regular layout changing methods, it provides very useful tooltip about what layout is chosen right in the middle of your screen, which is a life-saver if you prefer to hide your Manu Bar.

Screenshot at Jan 11 19-21-54.png

Screenshot at Jan 11 19-39-56.png

 2. Now we need to install software called BetterTouchTools. It do the trick. By utilizing it we can produce the "Fn" key press after pressing the "Alt+ Shift".

 2.1. Select the "Key Sequences / Type words"

Screenshot at Jan 11 19-10-00.png

2.2. Add the "Alt+Shift" key sequence to the "Group & Top level Triggers" column

2.3. Add the "Fn" key to the "Actions Assigned to Selected Triggers" column

2.4. Done.

 Now you can change your layouts by "Alt+Shift" even in much more comfortable way then in Windows due to centralized pop-up which eliminates the habit to keep an eye on the taskbar after each layout change.

Tom

Jan 11, 2023, 12:52:19 PM1/11/23
to Ukelele Users
An app which may be useful for this kind of change is

John Ukelele

Jan 11, 2023, 1:08:36 PM1/11/23
to Ukelele Users
Just tried the app and it's simply not working even with the default macos layout. Security Accessibility setting was ticked.

Gé van Gasteren

Jan 11, 2023, 1:18:00 PM1/11/23
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

John Ukelele

Jan 11, 2023, 1:42:08 PM1/11/23
to Ukelele Users
The app is installed correctly. I mean that key combinations not working.

Tom

Jan 11, 2023, 2:24:04 PM1/11/23
to Ukelele Users
Command Shift works fine for me in Monterey 12.6.1