How to assign a media key to keyboard in ukelele?

Jouri Gri

Jul 27, 2021, 2:49:52 AM7/27/21
to Ukelele Users
Hello,
I would like to assign a media key, like sound loudness/mute, or play/pause to a certain key, but I don't see this option in Ukelele.

Can anybody help or could you please implement this feature if not yet implemented?

Regards,

Jouri

Sorin Paliga

Jul 27, 2021, 2:54:31 AM7/27/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
You cannot do this with Ukelele, try Karabiner, free.

Sorin Paliga
Sent from my iPhone

On 27 Jul 2021, at 09:49, Jouri Gri <yur...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

Gé van Gasteren

Jul 27, 2021, 5:27:59 AM7/27/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I would like to assign a media key, like sound loudness/mute, or play/pause to a certain key, but I don't see this option in Ukelele.

Hi Jouri,

Simply said, the keyboard layout only converts one character into another, so it doesn’t directly affect commands.
Therefore, a keyboard layout editor like Ukelele can’t achieve what you want.
Check out the first part of the PDF manual (from Ukelele Help) under the heading "What Ukelele cannot do".

What you need is a piece of software that runs in the background, watches your keystrokes and when triggered, translates them into system commands.
And yes, Karabiner Elements might do the trick:

Good luck!