Keyboard Shortcut change with custom layout

Ptujec

Feb 22, 2022, 4:23:24 PM2/22/22
to Ukelele Users
Hi! I ran into an issue with my custom Slovene keyboard layout. I used the default German layout as the basis and just swapped out "öäü" with "čžš".

I noticed however that some shortcuts change if I change between layout. For example the default shortcut in iA Writer to create a blockquote is "cmd-shift-.". That does not work with my custom layout.
I tried to solve the issue by creating a custom shortcut in System Preferences. So I assigned the same shortcut ("cmd-shift-.") to blockquote. Now, for some reason I can create a blockquote with "cmd-." in both the custom layout and the standard German layout, but not with "cmd-shift-." even thought that is what is also showing in System Preferences.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-22 um 22.22.04.png

Any ideas?

Slowenisch.bundle.zip

Sorin Paliga

Feb 22, 2022, 4:35:40 PM2/22/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
This may happen, yes, if the custom keylayout does not have the same mapping of chars like . , + - etc. I have discovered that one such keylayout, for Czech, which did not work with zoom (cmd-shift-+) now works in the last macOS.
Some apps may not respond to such a command. Could you check with other apps? e.g. Pages, TextEdit, Word, Nisus, Mellel… Is the behavior the same?

Lep pozdrav iz Bukarešte

<Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-22 um 22.22.04.png>

Any ideas?

<Slowenisch.bundle.zip><Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-22 um 22.22.04.png>

Gé van Gasteren

Feb 22, 2022, 6:12:06 PM2/22/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
What happens if you create a shortcut for "cmd-:"
The logic being that : is shift-. in your custom layout. It’s just a guess, though …