How do I get my custom keyboard to Display letters as icons?

XaniXX XXparXXXg

Mar 1, 2024, 8:57:06 AMMar 1
to Ukelele Users

When I created my custom keyboard with Ukelele, I added a flag but it was inconsistent with the other icons:

So I removed it and this is the result:

Does anyone know how to make the icon be text like the rest of the languages?

Gé van Gasteren

Mar 1, 2024, 9:34:29 AMMar 1
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi ani,

Not that I know of. Maybe someone at Apple could tell us.

The thing is, the new text icons are generated on the fly, I think, based on the currently active display language and a list of strings for the language’s abbreviation.
This is done by some routine inside macOS and undocumented.

Maybe you know that custom keyboard layouts may look the same on the menu, but are in fact structured completely differently under the hood:
They are XML files (text files with code) which are converted by macOS into its own format and then included in the menu. (I’m not sure about that last part.)
This difference has always been the case since OS X, except for the icon, which was in fact the same kind of resource as what Apple’s built-in keyboard layouts had onboard.
Until now.

Maybe Apple is planning to make this format available at some point, or maybe not.
They would need to include a routine for checking custom-made versions and incorporating them into the keyboard layout menu – just to make us amateurs happy.
I don’t think that’s high on their priority list, so don’t hold your breath ;-)