Ukelele 3.5.10

John Brownie

Feb 13, 2024, 8:51:59 AMFeb 13
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I’ve now uploaded a new version, Ukelele 3.5.10. It has the following change:
  • Worked out some issues with autolayout, particularly with the Edit Key dialog.

With any luck, having gone through all the steps as I have them documented, this will be available through Software Update.

John

John Brownie, john_b...@sil.org
Turku, Finland

Gé van Gasteren

Feb 13, 2024, 9:08:39 AMFeb 13
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, John,

• The update from within Ukelele works flawlessly.
• The Key Edit dialog is nice now – here it is at its smallest:
image.png
• Looking around, I stumbled across another little something, which happens when I shrink the window vertically:
image.png

As it’s merely cosmetic, I suggest leaving it for an upcoming version :-)

John Brownie

Feb 13, 2024, 10:57:02 AMFeb 13
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
The purple window is due to having some setting to show autolayout problems. I was able to get rid of that from my computer some months ago, so I don’t get that when I resize the Keyboard Type dialog, though it doesn’t behave quite as I intended (and I have a fix for that). I can’t remember the exact commands I used to remove it, but it was something to do with the defaults command in a terminal window. Perhaps doing “defaults read | grep autolayout” would show something to be changed.

John

Gé van Gasteren

Feb 13, 2024, 12:21:30 PMFeb 13
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 4:57 PM John Brownie <john_b...@sil.org> wrote:
The purple window is due to having some setting to show autolayout problems. I was able to get rid of that from my computer some months ago, so I don’t get that when I resize the Keyboard Type dialog, though it doesn’t behave quite as I intended (and I have a fix for that). I can’t remember the exact commands I used to remove it, but it was something to do with the defaults command in a terminal window. Perhaps doing “defaults read | grep autolayout” would show something to be changed.

John

:-) I don’t understand a word of what you wrote… but this comes up when I click the question mark:
image.png

The purple warning comes up when I reduce the height of the window so much that the comments field is reduced to zero height.
I guess that’s what the double-arrow line next to it indicates.

Maybe you can simply specify a minimum height (and width!) for the window and that will be the end of those funny messages?

John Brownie

Feb 13, 2024, 1:17:59 PMFeb 13
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
If you open a terminal window and cut and paste the following:

defaults delete org.sil.Ukelele NSConstraintBasedLayoutVisualizeMutuallyExclusiveConstraints
defaults delete us.zoom.xos NSConstraintBasedLayoutVisualizeMutuallyExclusiveConstraints

then you won’t get the purple windows any more.

You are correct that it is showing because the comments field drops to a non-usable size, and the system doesn’t know how to fix it. I have a fix in for the minimum height, but I guess I need to go through all the dialogs and test them out for bad resizing. The whole autolayout thing is a cool idea, but it drives most developers crazy with things like this and the terrible lack of clarity with understanding the errors.

I found that having that default set was causing Ukelele to crash in the save dialog, if I toggled between the full file chooser and the simplified one, since it ran into this sort of bug and it crashed the save dialog, bringing Ukelele down with it (sometimes).

Anyway, I’ll work on this in a bit more depth and hopefully iron out any further issues!

John

Gé van Gasteren

Feb 13, 2024, 3:42:46 PMFeb 13
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, John, you’re right:
image.png
I pasted in those lines in Terminal and now: No error message anymore!