put backslash on cmd + ß (German Layout)

Lorenz Groth

Sep 30, 2021, 3:22:19 PM9/30/21
to Ukelele Users
Hello!

I new on ukelele and I' d like to add/switch some symbols for better performance
with latex on a MacBook. The most important key is for sure the backslash. The default way to get the backslash on the MacBook is quite uncomfortable - Shift + option+7
I'd like to put on cmd+ß (the "ß" is a German Charakter left from the "0").
I tried to find out to get it on my own with ukelele. Now, after hours, I have to give up.

Is there anybody who can help me?

Gé van Gasteren

Sep 30, 2021, 5:07:20 PM9/30/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lorenz,

You didn’t write much detail, what you have tried and what happened.
So I have to guess what might be the problem. One thought:
In theory, you can put characters on Cmd+ß, but some applications will not recognize that change. Maybe Latex is one of them; I’m not familiar with it.

At least it’s clear that you’re using the German layout and want to make \ more easily accessible.
So, for us to understand your situation better, could you try to put the \ on Shift + 3, instead of the § symbol?
And then let us know how you get along?

Lorenz Groth

Sep 30, 2021, 6:55:41 PM9/30/21
to Ukelele Users
Dear gevangasteren,

thanx for taking a look at my problem. Of course we could change the detail and go to the comparable case to bring the backslash somewhere else. I spent 9 h to try find a solution in generell and spent now 4 hours to get it with ukelele succeed less, how you can see in my video.
Because in the end I have to press alt + shift + "ß", but I wanted to have to press only alt+"ß" or cmd + "ß" (last one was my prefered way).
Bildschirmaufnahme 2021-10-01 um 00.23.24.mp4

Gé van Gasteren

Sep 30, 2021, 8:30:07 PM9/30/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I new on ukelele and I' d like to add/switch some symbols for better performance
with latex on a MacBook. The most important key is for sure the backslash. The default way to get the backslash on the MacBook is quite uncomfortable - Shift + option+7
I'd like to put on cmd+ß (the "ß" is a German Charakter left from the "0").
I tried to find out to get it on my own with ukelele. Now, after hours, I have to give up.

how you can see in my video.

Very good, the video shows how you tried to assign the character \ to the Cmd-ß key with copy & paste and "got more than you wanted".

Clearly, copy & paste is not suitable in your case.
That’s because it takes *all* the characters of the different levels of the key, in this case  7  /  |  \   although you want only the \.

Try this method:
• Hold down the Option/Alt key, so that the ß changes into ¿ and double-click on the key.
• A small window will open where you can enter the \ character, by typing it or by pasting it in.
• Click on the "Done" button.
That’s it.
This way, ß  ?  and  ˙  stay where they are; only  ¿ is replaced by  \

Of course, you can also do this using the Command key instead of the Option/Alt key, but generally, it’s recommended to leave the Command key for commands :-)

PS Sorry for sounding like a teacher, but if you’re new to Ukelele, it’s good to go through the beginning of the PDF manual (from the Help menu).

Tom

Sep 30, 2021, 8:37:54 PM9/30/21
to Ukelele Users
Change your input source to German Standard, it puts backslash on option ß

Gé van Gasteren

Oct 1, 2021, 3:19:13 AM10/1/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 2:37 AM Tom <thge...@gmail.com> wrote:
Change your input source to German Standard, it puts backslash on option ß

Tom, has this "German Standard" been added at some point? I don’t see it in El Capitán.
There, the "normal" German keyboard layout produces ¿ with Option-ß and it’s the same for the Austrian one.

Lorenz Groth

Oct 1, 2021, 5:25:02 AM10/1/21
to Ukelele Users

Thanx to gevangasteren! Wow, that works fine! Soo beautiful, great program! ...now, take a look, what else is possible to make performance even more smooth😎😄

Tom Gewecke

Oct 1, 2021, 5:47:33 AM10/1/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
German Standard was added in Big Sur or maybe Catalina.  Mac German keyboards are now printed for it (you see @ on the Q key instead of the L key).

Gé van Gasteren

Oct 1, 2021, 6:01:14 AM10/1/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
OK, good to know!
Alt-ß (and @ on Alt-q) is according to the T1 keyboard, I think it has been like that in Windows already for some time.

Gé van Gasteren

Oct 1, 2021, 6:06:03 AM10/1/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Glad it worked :-)

Have you understood what Tom wrote?
Depending on your macOS version, you may already have the \ sign on Option-ß if you activate the keyboard layout called "German Standard".

And even if you don’t have that layout listed in the Input Sources, you can "copy" it from a friend with a newer macOS.
That takes a few steps, so if you’re interested, let me know …

Lorenz Groth

Nov 4, 2021, 12:48:06 PM11/4/21
to Ukelele Users
Yes, you are right, German-Standard got already where I wanted to have it!
But I got a new problem. I can't get a vertical stroked "|" but using German-Standard. It is not possible to get it with alt + < because this brings another command, a window pops up instead of getting the vertical stroked. This command seems to have a greater priority.
So I have to use ukelele to design this. I might sound strange. But I don't get to save and install this layout.
1. After trying out some things ukelele behaves different now. When I'm double-clicking on where I want to put it, the menu "Enter the new output string" pops up but I not able to type the shift-, alt- or cmd-key anymore. Instead of this a second windows pops up.
2. Anyway, when the layout is ready (for example file "LorenzLorenzLoren.."), I don't know where to save and what type it should be or whether this matters.
3. And after trying out to save it anywhere I'm not able to bring it into the Mac preferences. Open the organizer and choose the file and click on install "LorenzLorenzLorenz.." for all users nothing is changed in the keyboard preference. Can't find the new keyboard layout. And yes I can see, there is no layout "LorenzLorenzLoren.." listed in Installed for All Users. I have no idea how to get it there.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-04 um 17.40.51.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-04 um 17.37.11.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-04 um 17.38.47.png
I'm sure my questions are basic. But for me it's unsolveable:-(

Tom Gewecke

Nov 4, 2021, 12:50:46 PM11/4/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

> On Nov 4, 2021, at 9:48 AM, Lorenz Groth <drdj...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> It is not possible to get it with alt + < because this brings another command, a window pops up instead of getting the vertical stroked.

What app does that? Apple would never us alt plus characters for such a thing.

Lorenz Groth

Nov 4, 2021, 2:00:53 PM11/4/21
to Ukelele Users
No, it's not character, it's alt + <, a "<". I want to use it with texstudio to do latex. But in every other program I use,  alt + < doesn't work for "|" there is always popping up some window. Even now in Ukelele. It doesn't let me type it.
But I found some (chaotic) way to set "|" somewhere else, where I could accept it. But then I don't know how to save and install - of course, I could see menu but don't know how to handle it.

Tom Gewecke

Nov 4, 2021, 2:14:25 PM11/4/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

> On Nov 4, 2021, at 11:00 AM, Lorenz Groth <drdj...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> But in every other program I use, alt + < doesn't work for "|" there is always popping up some window. Even now in Ukelele. It doesn't let me type it.

Something is really messed up if pressing Alt < with the Apple German Standard input source in Ukelele or standard Apple apps does not produce |. What is this “Window” that pops up? Can you post a picture?

Lorenz Groth

Nov 4, 2021, 2:27:33 PM11/4/21
to Ukelele Users
Ye...s I coud do a screen record - I not able do a screen shot, because I would have to press some keys and the pop up window will disappear.
But this may is OK. I found a another way to but "|" on cmd+|.
I got that second problem - that might easier to solve: How to install this Layout?
Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-04 um 19.24.10.png
I'd like to bring Lorenzcmd.... to Installed for All Users - and be very hopeful to get integrated into keyboard layouts.
Or is this not possible? It's so hard and frustrating. I'm trying for hours now.

Lorenz Groth

Nov 4, 2021, 2:29:13 PM11/4/21
to Ukelele Users
äh sorry, I wanted to write "|" on cmd+"-"

Sorin Paliga

Nov 4, 2021, 2:36:08 PM11/4/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
You would ask less if you read the manual.

Tom schrieb am Donnerstag, 4. November 2021 um 19:14:25 UTC+1:

> On Nov 4, 2021, at 11:00 AM, Lorenz Groth <drdj...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> But in every other program I use, alt + < doesn't work for "|" there is always popping up some window. Even now in Ukelele. It doesn't let me type it.

Something is really messed up if pressing Alt < with the Apple German Standard input source in Ukelele or standard Apple apps does not produce |. What is this “Window” that pops up? Can you post a picture?

<Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-04 um 19.24.10.png>

Gé van Gasteren

Nov 4, 2021, 3:06:58 PM11/4/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 7:29 PM Lorenz Groth <drdj...@gmx.de> wrote:
äh sorry, I wanted to write "|" on cmd+"-"

Dear Lorenz,

Sorin is right that going through the first pages of the PDF manual might have saved you hours of frustration.
It’s available from the Help menu inside Ukelele.

Still, I have a hunch that something else is going on here:
Are you using an external keyboard, one made for a Windows PC?

If that’s the case, the text printed on the Control, Alt and Windows keys does not match their functions.
Then I can imagine that pressing Alt + < triggers a popup window, and that   Strg + <   or   Ctrl + <   produces the character normally typed through Option + <
Using the built-in German Standard keyboard layout, which character appears on the screen when you type    Ctrl + <    or the Windows key + <    ?

Tom Gewecke

Nov 4, 2021, 4:27:10 PM11/4/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
That is messed up too.  Apple doesn’t use Cmd for making characters, it uses that for menu shortcuts. Cmd -  is Zoom Out in some apps.

Have you changed function of your Alt and Cmd modifier keys around so they no longer do what is printed on them?

Tom Gewecke

Nov 4, 2021, 4:29:51 PM11/4/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
PS  What happens when you do Cmd <?

Tangheera Bianca

Nov 5, 2021, 12:03:49 PM11/5/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
what if you try alt+ß instead ?

Tom Gewecke

Nov 5, 2021, 1:49:01 PM11/5/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 4, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Lorenz Groth <drdj...@gmx.de> wrote:

Ye...s I coud do a screen record - I not able do a screen shot, because I would have to press some keys and the pop up window will disappear.

You should be able to take screen shots without using the keys with Apple’s Screenshot app.