Typing accented latin characters with long-press?

isametry

May 5, 2022, 12:20:08 PM5/5/22
to Ukelele Users
My native layout shows a pop-up menu for many letters to type their accented / special versions, but the copy I modified with Ukelele doesn't. Is there any way to enable this for my custom layout as well?I don't need to modify it at all, I'd just like to have the same behavior as the system input method. Thanks!

Tom Gewecke

May 5, 2022, 1:15:33 PM5/5/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Try using the .bundle format and make sure the language in that is set to the same as your native layout.

John Brownie

May 5, 2022, 1:46:23 PM5/5/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I don't think that will work (but haven't tried it, so I'm prepared to
be surprised). The mechanism is baked into the PressAndHold app, which
is part of the system, and doesn't provide a mechanism to extend it. See
appendix A in the manual.

John
--
John Brownie
Turku, Finland

Tom Gewecke

May 5, 2022, 2:03:19 PM5/5/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I think that’s how I made a copy of Unicode Hex with the press and hold popup a couple years ago, but not sure any more…

John Brownie

May 5, 2022, 2:16:39 PM5/5/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
As soon as I sent my reply, I realised that I hadn't read the initial question properly. Setting the language should hopefully work.

The Unicode Hex Input keyboard layout is really weird, and is technically invalid XML, since it contains a representation of the null character, U+0000, which is the only valid code point that is illegal in XML. So the parser ignores the null, which breaks the keyboard layout if you try to edit it with Ukelele.

John

Kouvola, Finland

isametry

May 5, 2022, 2:49:44 PM5/5/22
to Ukelele Users
Turns out I hadn't chosen a language at all – so I did that, and the pop-up menus now work! Thanks a lot for the help.