Cannot save my modifications

Miguel Sesma

Mar 30, 2021, 10:28:31 AM3/30/21
to Ukelele Users
Hi.
I'm new to Ukelele and a bit confused with it.
I have created a bundle with a keyboard from the current input source and modified it with my desired layout. Then I select File-Save.
The problem is that nothing is saved. If I open that bundle again it is unmodified. I have also tried to install it with the inspector and selecting it after a reboot, but the result is the same: layout unmodified.

It is like the save function were not saving anything at all!

Can you help me to understand where the problem is?

Miguel Sesma

Mar 30, 2021, 10:49:26 AM3/30/21
to Ukelele Users
Seems that I got it, I should have something wrong the 100 first times :D

Gé van Gasteren

Mar 30, 2021, 6:45:46 PM3/30/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miguel,

Glad that you solved it, but maybe you can suggest some instruction or clarification to be added to the Quick Start Help that would have helped you find your way faster?

Miguel Sesma

Mar 31, 2021, 3:54:44 AM3/31/21
to Ukelele Users
I really would like to, but I don't really know what I did different last time:

I wanted to do several small modifications to US International KB, so I started creating a bundle from File - New from current input source.
Modified a couple of keys for not to be dead keys and other minor modifications.
Then I saved the layout from File -> save. Only the first time the app ask for a path. There is no save as option.
Imported it in the system using the Organiser, rebooted and selected the KB. My  modifications were not working.
So I removed the bundle from the system with the organiser, opened again and my modifications weren't there!
I did a couple of changes and saved again. Opened again and the modifications hadn't been saved.
tried everything without luck: Copying the file manually, looking at the save time (that did not change when saving but did randomly), reading the manual several times.
Tried everything without luck. Then I came to this group and asked for help.

Finally I decided to start from scratch, and as long as I remember I did exactly the same for a second time and this time worked as expected. Why? I really have no clue, sorry.

Thanks for answering.

Gé van Gasteren

Mar 31, 2021, 10:02:11 AM3/31/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Miguel.

Here’s a few loose thoughts that may or may not be relevant, actually I’m not even sure if they are completely correct

I think the Save option works as per the new MacOS guidelines, which adds a "Revert To" option for reverting to previous versions of your file:
After the first time, when you have entered a name and chosen a path, there is no need for a Save command, as simply closing the file saves the changes.

This also applies to the Bundle window, in which you can assign a language and an icon to your new layout. When asked if you want to save changes, click the Save button.

When you work on a keyboard layout that has been installed before, MacOS may not detect its later versions.
A trick to force that is to open the keyboard layout, go to Keyboard > Set Keyboard Name And Script… , change the script from Unicode to Roman, then change it back to Unicode, then save and install it.

Message has been deleted