new user

Saroja

Feb 1, 2021, 4:51:46 AM2/1/21
to Ukelele Users
I'm delighted to have found this group! Please help. I downloaded the Uke app and copied it into my /Library/Keyboard Layouts folder on my Mac (Catalina) but nothing happened. What am I missing?

Tom Gewecke

Feb 1, 2021, 7:19:23 AM2/1/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com, chic...@gmail.com
The Ukelele app goes in your Applications folder (not in Library/Keyboard Layouts)

> On Feb 1, 2021, at 2:51 AM, Saroja <chic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm delighted to have found this group! Please help. I downloaded the Uke app and copied it into my /Library/Keyboard Layouts folder on my Mac (Catalina) but nothing happened. What am I missing?

Sorin Paliga

Feb 1, 2021, 7:41:25 AM2/1/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
And add the 2nd sentence: the generated keyboard layouts (keylayouts) must go there, in /Library/Keyboard layouts.
But, warning to new users: do NOT process/ adapt/ generate new keylayouts there, first save them somewhere, e.g. on the desktop or in Documents folder, and when all ready generate the keylayout or bundle, which you should put there.
Restart the computer (better than log out and in again), go to sys prefs/Keyboard/Input… and activate the keylayout. Warning: if not assigned a certain language/script, it may be under ‘Others’.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ukelele-users/639BEBAA-85D4-4C92-B4BD-7D5BF7DA276F%40gmail.com.

Gé van Gasteren

Feb 1, 2021, 10:09:37 AM2/1/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Saroja,

The best introduction is to read the beginning of the Ukelele Manual (PDF), which you find inside Ukelele through the Help menu.
There’s lots of detailed stuff in that manual, but section 3, Quick Start, is short and gives lots of important information.

The main thing to understand with Ukelele is that it’s not the application that changes your keyboard behavior.
In MacOS, the journey starting with your keypress and ending with a character appearing on the screen is going through many parts of the system software.
One of those parts is called the keyboard layout and this can be replaced, either by another one from Apple’s own built-in collection of keyboard layouts, or by one that you have customized yourself with Ukelele.

So all Ukelele does is: it lets you customize existing keyboard layouts (and install them, too) in a safe and intuitive way.
After installing, you can activate those customized home-made keyboard layouts just like you do with the ones provided with MacOS.

Happy Ukeleling :)

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 10:51 AM Saroja <chic...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm delighted to have found this group! Please help. I downloaded the Uke app and copied it into my /Library/Keyboard Layouts folder on my Mac (Catalina) but nothing happened. What am I missing?

Sarah Chenkin

Feb 1, 2021, 10:22:06 AM2/1/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks I will read the manual!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Ukelele Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ukelele-users/CAOH1hL9_uj2n8K5NfjM%2BZkBFjxbV3U0HuHSSZg5pChi-GctjHw%40mail.gmail.com.