Apple Silicon

Paul Cowan

Nov 7, 2021, 8:08:16 PM11/7/21
to Ukelele Users
Hi.

I have a custom keylayout I've been using since 2009. When I import it onto my new M1 Mac mini it shows up in the input sources menu and in the relevant Preferences panel; I can select it from the menu; but as soon as I go to a place that allows text input it deactivates. The input source reverts to the default.

What can be happening? do I need to start all over?

Tom Gewecke

Nov 7, 2021, 11:09:07 PM11/7/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

> On Nov 7, 2021, at 6:08 PM, Paul Cowan <office...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> as soon as I go to a place that allows text input it deactivates. The input source reverts to the default.

Does that happen in all apps, e.g. Mail, Notes, TextEdit, Safari, Message, Pages?

What does your custom layout do? Can you provide a copy?

Paul Cowan

Nov 8, 2021, 11:19:56 AM11/8/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Well, this is embarrassing. Yesterday it was quitting, now it sticks. FWIW, I neither logged out nor restarted in between. Computer did sleep, but that’s all.

To make up for wasting the group’s time I'll post the layout all the same. It’s one I cobbled together — originally with ResEdit ! — so I could readily type in all the (European) languages I generally use. I always use a physical keyboard with the separate number pad, so the number row across the top was available for repurposing… Its original denizens being (in most cases) placed in the Option and Shift+Option positions.

Placing of the accented characters isn’t entirely random. The éÉ key in inherited from the normal fr-CA layout, while things like îÎ àÀ hearken back to the dumb terminals of the 60s, where you’d get stuff like “g{n{ralement l’apr}s-midi nous allons @ la plage” : )

best regards,

P. (^_^)

Alicunde in Nūbe missae
Passe-partout.keylayout

Gé van Gasteren

Nov 8, 2021, 12:00:45 PM11/8/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 5:20 PM Paul Cowan <office...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, this is embarrassing. Yesterday it was quitting, now it sticks. FWIW, I neither logged out nor restarted in between. Computer did sleep, but that’s all.

Well Paul, that’s not embarrassing, it’s very fortunate :-)

Maybe you didn’t log out after you installed your keyboard layout and that omission caused the erratic behavior.
Often, it seems everything is working well without doing that, but it’s the "best practice" method still.
I know you wrote you didn’t log out between misbehavior and proper behavior, but that’s the only thing I can come up with.

And regarding the accented-character problem, I still remember the mid ’90s, when exchanging documents between PCs and Macs was always hazardous, and when people were typing e1, e3, etc. on their portable Epson machines in French texts meant for uploading to a Mac (Plus or SE) where those codes would be globally replaced by é, ê, etc.. Unicode was only a baby then.

Veit

Nov 20, 2021, 3:18:14 AM11/20/21
to Ukelele Users

just experienced the same problem, as soon as I open Safari macOS switches back to the default keyboard. This does not happen on all programs but on many. The only work a round that I have is to remove the default keyboard layout completely but that has some problems with my external keyboard. Is there any better solution ?

Gé van Gasteren

Nov 20, 2021, 8:31:30 AM11/20/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Veit,

This definitely isn’t a "real fix", but it may be a work-around for your work-around ;-)

Use Ukelele to create an exact copy of the default layout you mentioned (New from current input source), save it with the suggested name (= old name + " copy") – or something clearly different, so you can’t confuse it with Apple’s layout – and use that with the external keyboard.
Then you can work without having the default keyboard layout installed. I think.