DeadKeys

Ben Hinton

Nov 28, 2022, 1:35:09 AM11/28/22
to Ukelele Users
I'm hoping someone can explain to me step-by-step how to use Dead Keys. I've read the manual and scoured the internet - even watched videos (but those were for much older versions of Ukelele) all to no avail.

Specifically I want this unicode syllabic consonant mark (U+0329) below a consonant e.g. m̩.

Very much appreciate your time (in advance).

Ben

John Brownie

Nov 28, 2022, 2:13:14 AM11/28/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Have you looked at the tutorials? They take you step by step.

John
—
John Brownie, john_b...@sil.org
Turku, Finland

Sorin Paliga

Nov 28, 2022, 3:08:34 AM11/28/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Well, the easiest way is to choose an existing keylayout and see how this works. "Dead key" is a syntagm borrowed from the terminology of old typewriters: when you were pressing a dead key, the cursor did not move, and you could type the letter after typing the dead key.
ABC Extended is one such keylayout, unfortunately non-mnemotechnic in most cases. My US Academic is a lot easier to learn, but I guess you are planning to do it yourself. The standard dead keys in macOS are: option - E = ´ é ó í ú ś ź
Opt - ~ [left to Z on ISO keyboards or left to 1 on U.S] ` è ò
Opt - u: ¨ ü ö
opt c: ¸ ç ļ ņ
and the list is longer with ABC Extended.

Sent from my iPad

Ben Hinton

Nov 28, 2022, 3:40:14 AM11/28/22
to Ukelele Users
Thanks John, I've retraced my steps and found the tutorials. They make it a little clearer!

Ben Hinton

Nov 28, 2022, 3:41:12 AM11/28/22
to Ukelele Users
Thanks Cattus. I'll try that. Perhaps between the tutorials and a specimen I can get it.

Gé van Gasteren

Nov 28, 2022, 4:32:35 AM11/28/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,

Here’s me trying to cut through the specificity of the question, down to the reason for asking it…

Basically, there are two ways to produce letters with such marks:

1. Define a keystroke (or sequence of keystrokes) to type each required resulting Unicode character, e.g. U+1e43 ṃ
Obviously, this is only possible if there is such a "precomposed" character in the table.
This is what you typically do with so-called "dead keys".

2. Define a keystroke for the mark itself, to be typed after any base character, e.g. U+006d  U+0323 producing a combination of m and   ̣
This is a more "efficient" way, in that you need only one special keystroke to produce many accented letters.
Another possible advantage is that this way of typing allows you to "stack" marks.
A disadvantage can be that it doesn’t work (yet) in every single application, and the typographic result isn’t always the same.
There are two blocks in Unicode with "combining diacritical marks" just for this usage.

Sorin Paliga

Nov 28, 2022, 4:51:45 AM11/28/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I would just add that if the diacritical marks are frequently needed (e.g. linguistic or dialectal texts) then the most convenient way is to use the area "Combining Diacritical Marks" (CDM) as any such diacritical mark may be put above/below any other character disregarding whether there is a precomposed char or not.
Most apps do support this and there are many fonts which include CDM area (both a mandatory conditions). The problem may appear if such a text is sent for print, the result may be bad/horrible if the same conditions are not met on the other side.

Sent from my iPad

Gé van Gasteren

Nov 28, 2022, 6:55:49 AM11/28/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 10:51 AM Sorin Paliga <sorin....@gmail.com> wrote:
 The problem may appear if such a text is sent for print, the result may be bad/horrible if the same conditions are not met on the other side.

Did that happen with PDF files?
By now, you should know that exchanging MSWord files is a reliable recipe for regrettable results…

Sorin Paliga

Nov 28, 2022, 8:55:05 AM11/28/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Not with PDF files, of course, but if you send a document (e.g. a book etc..) to an editor and the text gets corrupt this a problem indeed. A PDF file is useful, in such cases, in order to check the correctness of the printed text, whether the diacritical marks have been correctly displayed and printed.