apps on new computer changing my input source

scalwo

Jun 9, 2021, 6:59:51 PM6/9/21
to Ukelele Users
I have been using a keyboard layout I developed in ukelele for several months.  I just copied it  to and installed it on a new computer (slightly newer macbook air running same OS, 10.15.7).  On my new computer (but not the old one) some of my apps (notably Safari and Office) kick me out of my custom input source and switch automatically to "ABC".  I don't have "Automatically switch to a document's input source" enabled, and I'm not sure what else to try.  Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

John Brownie

Jun 14, 2021, 2:05:30 AM6/14/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
scalwo wrote on 10/6/21 01:59:
I'm not sure what to suggest that would be guaranteed to make it work.
One possibility is that the keyboard layout ID conflicts with another
keyboard layout on the new system. Although it's meant to handle this
gracefully, the system sometimes gets confused. To change the ID,
uninstall the keyboard layout, then open it in Ukelele, go to Set
Keyboard Name and Script…, change the script to something else and then
change it back, which generates a random ID. Then reinstall the keyboard
layout, log out or restart, and it might work better.

Otherwise, I'm surprised that it works on one computer and not on
another. There's obviously something else in the new computer's set up
which is causing the issue, and I'm not at all sure what it would be.

John
--
John Brownie
Kouvola, Finland

Gé van Gasteren

Jun 14, 2021, 8:20:07 AM6/14/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Could it be a factor whether he has installed the keyboard layout for All Users or for Current User Only?

Sorin Paliga

Jun 14, 2021, 10:13:45 AM6/14/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Correct, it is very important to specify WHERE it was installed. It must be ‘for all users’, the last generations of macOS incorrectly handle custom keylayouts if put for the logged in user only.

scott woodford

Jun 18, 2021, 2:49:52 PM6/18/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

Thank you John, Geì, and Sorin.

I temporarily changed the keyboard script and then changed it back, then installed for all users, and it works fine.

I really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Scott

Gé van Gasteren

Jun 18, 2021, 5:19:48 PM6/18/21
to Ukelele Users
It’s wonderful when things "just" work, isn’t it?!

Thanks for reporting back!