Can't change writing direction (option greyed out)

Sameer Hameedy

Dec 3, 2022, 6:49:51 PM12/3/22
to Ukelele Users
I made a custom Persian Keyboard and everything works great but it keeps writing in the wrong direction. I even tried going to settings to switch the writing direction, but the option is greyed out and unclickable. I am able to open the file in text edit so I can add text to change the writing direction if anyone knows what to type and where.

Tom Gewecke

Dec 3, 2022, 6:57:34 PM12/3/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
What app is this happening in?

On Dec 3, 2022, at 4:49 PM, Sameer Hameedy <isameer...@gmail.com> wrote:

I made a custom Persian Keyboard and everything works great but it keeps writing in the wrong direction. I even tried going to settings to switch the writing direction, but the option is greyed out and unclickable. I am able to open the file in text edit so I can add text to change the writing direction if anyone knows what to type and where.

Gé van Gasteren

Dec 3, 2022, 7:22:24 PM12/3/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Maybe you need to put your keylayout into a bundle and assign it the right language?
Just guessing here…

Sorin Paliga

Dec 4, 2022, 2:30:56 AM12/4/22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I am not familiar with RTL scripts, but the system must know that it is one such script and keylayout. I do not know whether UKELELE can handle this. The situation is similar with complex Oriental scripts like Korean, where ligatures are also very important.
As about the apps, AFAIK Mellel is the only app which can handle custom RTL scripts. I remember my experience with a keylayout with Old Italic/Etruscan, for which Mellel was instructed to handle an RTL script, and it was OK.