Any way to output words longer than 22 characters?

Succguin

Mar 17, 2024, 11:11:08 AMMar 17
to Ukelele Users
I am writing something that requires a sentence over and over again, but I also need to copy and paste a lot of other things while I do so. I tried to access ukelele source code and change the maxout="22" to maxout="100" for convenience, but when i tried to use it, it just crashed whatever application I was using. Any help?

Tom

Mar 17, 2024, 11:41:46 AMMar 17
to Ukelele Users

Sorin Paliga

Mar 17, 2024, 11:50:57 AMMar 17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
You must explain the reason for doing that. From what you say, i.e.

I am writing something that requires a sentence over and over again, but I also need to copy and paste a lot of other things while I do so. I
tried to access ukelele source code and change the maxout="22" to maxout="100" for convenience, but when i tried to use it, it just crashed whatever application I was using. Any help?

Gé van Gasteren

Mar 17, 2024, 11:56:45 AMMar 17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
To add to Tom’s suggestion:
1. You can use Ukelele to create a keyboard layout that produces a string (of up to 20 characters, I believe) when a certain key is typed.
2. Set up a macOS substitution for that string.

That way you can insert complete text blocks by typing single keys.

Succguin

Mar 17, 2024, 7:31:46 PMMar 17
to Ukelele Users
Yes. You're right I should just substitute it. Thank you. But just out of curiosity, would it be possible to extend the character limit?

John Brownie

Mar 18, 2024, 3:11:02 AMMar 18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
No, it’s a hard limit imposed by the design of the keyboard layout system by Apple more than 20 years ago. It predates the XML keyboard layouts, going back to the ‘uchr’ resource format.

John

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Apr 11, 2024, 9:58:12 AMApr 11
to Ukelele Users

If I want something longer, with carriage returns etc. I can combine the functions of Ukelele with those of TextExpander.  For example, if I type alt-J then Ukelele gives jpolicy, which TextExpander, as soon as a space or punctuation is added, expands to

       The aim of the Journal of Theoretical Biology is to
        publish theoretical papers which give insight into
        biological processes. The biological significance should
        be clearly stated. Highly speculative papers not
        based on current biological knowledge will not
        be acceptable.

        It is essential that papers be accessible to as wide a
        readership as possible. Every effort should be made to
        make the main points of the paper intelligible to biologists
        as a whole. Authors should thus make it clear how any
        mathematical models relate to the biological problems
        they address.

I don't have occasion to use this any more, but at one time I used it often for reporting on papers whose authors didn't appear to have read the Instructions to Authors.

Jérémy Chatard

Apr 13, 2024, 3:31:35 AMApr 13
to Ukelele Users
What about https://espanso.org/ ?

I use daily for years, it's so valuable for repeated sentences or commands.