symbol-window closes

AnnaSjodin

Apr 13, 2021, 9:27:52 AM4/13/21
to Ukelele Users
Hi, this is probably a very basic question but I have a problem when constructing a new layout. I use Latin-extended for finding my diacriticals but now the window is not working. As soon as I have only Ukelele running the window disappears and I can't move the letters/signs to the keyboard I try to build.
(I'm not an english-speaker so my terminology might be strange, but I hope at least understandable) /Anna

Sorin Paliga

Apr 13, 2021, 9:52:20 AM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hello
Let us have a clear image of what you are planning to do:
- a new keylayout for what unicode range/script? A Latin Extended? Or what other range?
- it is a lot simpler to start from an existing keylayout which you open in Ukelele, save it somewhere on the disk (not yet directly in the system), make all the changes, including a new name (to not confuse the system with the same name), when all ready - install it. What is your basic model?
- If you wish to start with a completely new keylayout, this may be a lot more difficult, as you must define the system commands too.

On 13 Apr 2021, at 16:27, AnnaSjodin <annapya...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, this is probably a very basic question but I have a problem when constructing a new layout. I use Latin-extended for finding my diacriticals but now the window is not working. As soon as I have only Ukelele running the window disappears and I can't move the letters/signs to the keyboard I try to build.
(I'm not an english-speaker so my terminology might be strange, but I hope at least understandable) /Anna

AnnaSjodin

Apr 13, 2021, 10:28:21 AM4/13/21
to Ukelele Users
Hi, I have a base to start with. The only problem is that the symbol-window does not remain open, I cannot move the signs/letters at all(I use some of the diacriticals in the Latin extended range for my new layout). I have a Swedish base layout, no problem there.

Tom Gewecke

Apr 13, 2021, 10:58:59 AM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

On Apr 13, 2021, at 7:28 AM, AnnaSjodin <annapya...@gmail.com> wrote:

The only problem is that the symbol-window does not remain open

To clarify, is your problem is that the Apple Character Viewer is disappearing when you have Ukelele open?

Sorin Paliga

Apr 13, 2021, 11:31:58 AM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Frankly, I cannot reproduce what you are writing about, but why don’t you use copy-paste? So you wish to move chars/symbols from where to where? Or simply wish to remove some of the existing ones and replace them by others?

Sorin Paliga

Apr 13, 2021, 11:37:06 AM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi to all

I am planning to update my older keylayouts for Old Church Slavonic, and I do not know who to identify whether chars
U+032D
and
U+0333
are included in the existing keylayout. How could I interrogate whether a keylayout file has/has not the named chars?
Thanks

Tom Gewecke

Apr 13, 2021, 12:41:25 PM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I think this will show you all the characters in a layout and let you search for things

Sorin Paliga

Apr 13, 2021, 1:09:52 PM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Tom, let me see whether this works for me.

John Brownie

Apr 13, 2021, 1:17:56 PM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com, Sorin Paliga
That's what Find Key Stroke is for, in the Edit menu, ⇧⌘F. It will tell
you what key sequence is necessary to generate the output, or that there
is no such output.

John

Sorin Paliga wrote on 13/4/21 18:37:
--
John Brownie
Kouvola, Finland

Sorin Paliga

Apr 13, 2021, 1:30:03 PM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, John, it works, following the steps:
write the U code in Nisus
convert from U code to the char
copy the result of the conversion
copy-paste in UKELELE

It seems it does not work by directly typing the U code, perhaps this might be implemented in a future version.
Thanks, so neither of the two chars are present so I am now working on updating the keylayout.

Tom Gewecke

Apr 13, 2021, 1:33:03 PM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

> On Apr 13, 2021, at 10:17 AM, John Brownie <john_b...@sil.org> wrote:
>
> That's what Find Key Stroke is for, in the Edit menu, ⇧⌘F. It will tell you what key sequence is necessary to generate the output, or that there is no such output.

Very nice! Learned something new today.

John Brownie

Apr 13, 2021, 2:05:57 PM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Tue 13. Apr 2021 at 20.30, Sorin Paliga <sorin....@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, John, it works, following the steps:
write the U code in Nisus
convert from U code to the char
copy the result of the conversion
copy-paste in UKELELE

It seems it does not work by directly typing the U code, perhaps this might be implemented in a future version.
Thanks, so neither of the two chars are present so I am now working on updating the keylayout.
Yes, that is a thought. It accepts the XML notation, so &#x0332; for example.

John
--
John Brownie, john_b...@sil.org

Sorin Paliga

Apr 13, 2021, 2:18:31 PM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
O, good, so if I type
&#x…
it works, right? Super… this is good news too!

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 13, 2021, 4:00:46 PM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
John: Wow, it even works with results of dead-key combinations and multi-character sequences!
When there are multiple ways to produce a given character, only one is given, but who cares :)
This is a handy thing even for finding keystrokes in existing keyboard layouts: instead of pecking around, create a New From Current Input Source and look for the character.
In the past, there used to be a thingie called KeyMap, but I think that worked only with the US layout.

Sorin: You can type the Unicode code point directly into the search field if you first switch to the Unicode Hex Input layout.
I guess this "only" works for the basic plane, whereas pasting in the character or typing &#x00000; might also work for higher code points.

Sorin Paliga

Apr 13, 2021, 4:04:51 PM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
For the time being, this seems sufficient. As I created this keylayout many years ago, I have forgotten some details like the two chars.
I am participating in an online (of course) conference on this topic (Old Church Slavonic texts, OCR, keylayouts etc..) and there are some new ideas I would like to implement in my keylayout.
Yes, Unicode Hex Input is a solution, I have also tested it and it works! Now I must gather together all the chars I must add and finalise the work some good day.
Thanks to all for the ideas.

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 13, 2021, 4:10:12 PM4/13/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi AnnaSjodin,

You’re right, the Emoji & Symbols panel closes when you open Ukelele.
It seems it works if you just change the sequence: first open Ukelele, then the Emoji & Symbols panel.

Alternatively, you can work around the problem:
First type the characters you want to assign to a keyboard layout into a text file, e.g. TextEdit – directly or by using the Emoji & Symbols panel.
Then you can copy and paste the characters from that text file into Ukelele.

Hope that works for you

Anna-Pya Sjödin

Apr 14, 2021, 4:34:58 AM4/14/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi, and thanks! Solved it yesterday but forgot the posting I made.
All best
Anna

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Ukelele Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ukelele-users/CAOH1hL94mmzonJG%3DizhqSYinsmLQuavD6-ro%2BuwQQOdDrrWAuA%40mail.gmail.com.

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 14, 2021, 5:00:41 AM4/14/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 10:34 AM Anna-Pya Sjödin <annapya...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, and thanks! Solved it yesterday but forgot the posting I made.
All best

Very good! It’s important to finish the thread :)