Accented letters on AZERTY keyboard Corsair K60 RGB Pro

Oby

Jan 7, 2023, 8:28:52 AM1/7/23
to Ukelele Users
Hi everyone,

I have an AZERTY (French) keyboard K60 Pro RGB from Corsair.

I am not fully understanding how to write caracters with accent. I think it's about a dead key ?

Here are the caracters I would like to be able to type :

Letter e + ^ = ê

Letter e + ¨ = ë

Letter i + ^ = î

Letter I + ¨ = ï

Letter o + ^ = ô

Letter a + ^ = â

Letter u + ^ = û

Letter u + ¨ = ü

I have attached a picture of my current keyboard and the keyboard layout file I have created so far.

Thank you very much for your help :-)

K60.keylayout
corsair.png

Tom Gewecke

Jan 7, 2023, 8:48:49 AM1/7/23
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Is there some reason you don't want to use the standard apple French input source, where you type ^ then e to get ê ?

On Jan 7, 2023, at 6:29 AM, 'Oby' via Ukelele Users <ukelel...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,
<K60.keylayout>
<corsair.png>

Oby

Jan 7, 2023, 8:53:07 AM1/7/23
to Ukelele Users
The problem is that when I do this it doesn't work...The caracter go side by side e^ instead of ê. I would like to fix it but I have not find a solution yet...

John Brownie

Jan 7, 2023, 9:01:19 AM1/7/23
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On 7 Jan 2023 at 15:53:07, 'Oby' via Ukelele Users <ukelel...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
The problem is that when I do this it doesn't work...The caracter go side by side e^ instead of ê. I would like to fix it but I have not find a solution yet…

It sounds as though you are using the Windows/Linux letter-then-accent rather than the Mac accent-then-letter.

John

Sorin Paliga

Jan 7, 2023, 9:01:57 AM1/7/23
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Tom, this is a very frequent confusion: many users think that a physical keyboard MUST follow the input (keyboard layout) disregarding what keylayout is active!
I once wrote an analysis of this, frankly I am lazy to rewrite it again.
Yes, of course, if users are accustomed to an AZERTY (French or similar) keylayout, they should choose French or another AZERTY-based keylayout in the active settings. Otherwise, of course the chars do not match!

Oby

Jan 7, 2023, 9:14:45 AM1/7/23
to Ukelele Users
Sorry I am new to this software... is there a solution then ?

Tom Gewecke

Jan 7, 2023, 9:19:18 AM1/7/23
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

Please set your input source to French (as supplied by apple) and type ^ and then e.  What do you get?

On Jan 7, 2023, at 6:53 AM, 'Oby' via Ukelele Users <ukelel...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

The problem is that when I do this it doesn't work...The caracter go side by side e^ instead of ê. I would like to fix it but I have not find a solution yet...

Oby

Jan 7, 2023, 9:21:14 AM1/7/23
to Ukelele Users
It is working when I select the French keyboard input source from Apple! but not from my Ukulele keyboard layout..what did I do wrong ?

Gé van Gasteren

Jan 7, 2023, 10:16:37 AM1/7/23
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oby,

I think you have started with an empty keyboard layout and then inserted letters to copy the looks of Apple’s French keyboard layout.
But that’s not all there is: there are not-so-obvious mechanisms that need to be included.

If you are not completely happy with how the built-in French layout works, it’s best – and easiest – to first create a copy of it with Ukelele’s command "New From Current Input Source".
Then you make the changes you want.

Wishing you success!