Modifier window doesn't show all key options

Tessa Black

Feb 10, 2024, 12:53:15 PMFeb 10
to Ukelele Users
Apologies if this has been posted before.
I'm on a 2020 M1 MacBook Pro 13 inch, and I can't view all of the options for the modifier keys while in the "edit key" window. I want to map my caps lock key to modify the output of the R and D keys, but there is no way to scroll down through the list. I've tried changing the view settings and tried using an external display but I can't resize the window in a way that lets me see the caps lock key. Has anyone else had this issue and is there a way to fix this? Let me know if you need more information, and I'm sorry if I'm using some of the terminology incorrectly or if this doesn't make sense. Thank you!
Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 10.44.15 AM.png

John Brownie

Feb 10, 2024, 1:00:36 PMFeb 10
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I hadn’t seen this before. It must be a problem with the autolayout, which sometimes seems like the computer has a mind of its own which doesn’t correspond to what a human would want. I am not sure why the dialog is only resizable in the vertical dimension. I will see about fixing this next week.

In the meantime, if you have caps lock down before you invoke the Edit Key command, then caps lock would be selected, even if you can’t see it, and similarly if you don’t have caps lock. Hopefully that is enough to be able to use it.

John

Sorin Paliga

Feb 10, 2024, 1:00:49 PMFeb 10
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure what you mean. If you have an open keylayout in UKELELE and you press Capslock key on your physical keyboard, isn’t this sufficient to edit the mentioned keys?

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 19.59.02.png

Gé van Gasteren

Feb 10, 2024, 6:41:45 PMFeb 10
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Feb 10, 2024 at 6:53 PM Tessa Black <tessa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Apologies if this has been posted before.
I'm on a 2020 M1 MacBook Pro 13 inch, and I can't view all of the options for the modifier keys while in the "edit key" window.

Thank you for bringing this up!
It’s the same on my Mac running Sonoma, but as there are other ways to edit keys, I never thought to bother John about it…

Here’s how it looks if I call that dialog while Caps Lock is down:
image.png

So while John is at it, he might also take a look at what happens to the lower elements when one reduces the height of the dialog window.