Turn a key into a modifier

Valerio Montecchio

Apr 20, 2024, 4:48:10 AMApr 20
to Ukelele Users
Hello, is it possibile to turn a key into a modifier? Specifically, I would like to extend the shift modifier by remapping '<' (keycode 50) to 'shift'. The base keyboard layout is QWERTY.

Schermata 2024-04-20 alle 10.18.19.png
Thanks in advance,
Valerio

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 20, 2024, 5:49:03 AMApr 20
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Valerio,

The format of keyboard layout files in macOS only allows changes to the character keys.
Therefore, the best you can do through a custom keyboard layout is: assign empty output to that key, so that you don’t accidentally type a < when you want to press the Shift key.

Other than that, you’ll need to install third-party software to monitor and replace keystrokes, e.g. Karabiner Elements. KeyMan can also do this, but if there is no readily available setting for your situation, you’ll need KeyMan Developer (available for MS Windows only) to create a custom keyboard layout.

Sorin Paliga

Apr 20, 2024, 8:07:14 AMApr 20
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
To all those who wish to modify system settings, I would repeat the caveat: do NOT play with system settings, if you are not a developer and you are not familiar with the various labyrinths of an operating system.
Karabiner is a long-tested, good app, but I once had problems with after a system update or upgrade. So, if you do not necessarily need to play with the system, then do not do it.

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 10:48 AM Valerio Montecchio <valerio.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, is it possibile to turn a key into a modifier? Specifically, I would like to extend the shift modifier by remapping '<' (keycode 50) to 'shift'. The base keyboard layout is QWERTY.

<Schermata 2024-04-20 alle 10.18.19.png>
Thanks in advance,
Valerio

Valerio Montecchio

Apr 21, 2024, 3:35:37 PMApr 21
to Ukelele Users
Ok, thanks. Assigning empty output to that key will at least prevent the mistype.

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 21, 2024, 4:39:04 PMApr 21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 9:35 PM Valerio Montecchio <valerio.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, thanks. Assigning empty output to that key will at least prevent the mistype.

Right!
Just to make sure: In my answer, I assumed that you were talking about a MacBook and its built-in keyboard.
But in case you are using an external keyboard (or willing to start using one), you can fix the situation by getting yourself a so-called ANSI keyboard:
image.png

Valerio Montecchio

Apr 22, 2024, 8:37:59 AMApr 22
to Ukelele Users
That's my case actually! I'm using an external keyboard with Italian QWERTY layout. What do I have to do?
Thanks

Tom

Apr 22, 2024, 8:41:44 AMApr 22
to Ukelele Users
Italian layouts are always ISO, with the extra key and short left shift.  If you get the ANSI type, it will have the US layout printed on the keys.

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 22, 2024, 9:46:26 AMApr 22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 2:38 PM Valerio Montecchio <valerio.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's my case actually! I'm using an external keyboard with Italian QWERTY layout. What do I have to do?
Thanks

You could buy a keyboard like this one:

However, just as Tom writes, there may be an unacceptable trade-off:
You would lose the < key, yes, but the arrangement around the Enter key is different and the prints on some of the keys will be different:
Some of the symbol keys on the top row will be marked differently: " / ( ) ' ?
and also the keys for typing  + * à è ì ò ù é ; : - on the right side of the keyboard.

If you are used to touch-typing and don’t need to look at the keys, that may not bother you, of course.

Valerio Montecchio

Apr 22, 2024, 11:58:18 AMApr 22
to Ukelele Users
Buying a new keyboard is not a viable option. I need this edit specifically for a custom made glass keyboard that don't have physical keys (like a touch screen). The shift key is small and it's easy to miss when pressing with the little finger.

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 22, 2024, 2:43:35 PMApr 22
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 5:58 PM Valerio Montecchio <valerio.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Buying a new keyboard is not a viable option. I need this edit specifically for a custom made glass keyboard that don't have physical keys (like a touch screen). The shift key is small and it's easy to miss when pressing with the little finger.

A custom-made keyboard!!!

But not custom-made to your specifications, looks like…

So you are used to the Italian layout, but not used to moving your pinkie just a little bit more to reach the Shift key?
(Just curious!)

Message has been deleted

Tom

Apr 22, 2024, 2:51:26 PMApr 22
to Ukelele Users
If it does not have physical keys, I would think it might be programmable to take on the ANSI or JIS format as well as ISO

Tom

Apr 23, 2024, 11:20:06 AMApr 23
to Ukelele Users
Who makes this keyboard?  Do you have a url for the company and model?

Valerio Montecchio

Apr 24, 2024, 8:04:05 AMApr 24
to Ukelele Users
Hi, yeah, I had posted the link. Not clear why I can't see the message.
It's a BASTRON B10 PRO. They made Italian layout for me

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 24, 2024, 8:27:29 AMApr 24
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 24, 2024 at 2:04 PM Valerio Montecchio <valerio.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, yeah, I had posted the link. Not clear why I can't see the message.
Not clear why I can't see the message.

You posted the link in a private message to me :-)

Tom

Apr 24, 2024, 8:53:07 AMApr 24
to Ukelele Users
Thanks!  It does not seem programmable, I guess they make each language customly.  Is their left shift on yours a lot shorter than the one on a standard Mac or Windows Italian keyboard?  Nobody makes Italian keyboards with the wide left shift you find on US keyboards.