Can't install keyboard layout

David Tamas

Feb 3, 2021, 1:59:38 AM2/3/21
to Ukelele Users
Hello,

I've created my own keyboard layout but I'm unable to install it. Neither the organizer nor the export works.

Do you have any idea what am I doing wrong?

Thank you,
David
SC02.jpg
SC01.jpg

Sorin Paliga

Feb 3, 2021, 2:54:20 AM2/3/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Can you describe the steps until the moment you tried to install?
These must be:
– open and existing keylayout (planned to be modifed) and save it somewhere on the disk, e.g. on the desktop; or create a new one from scratch, which a laborious action.
– make all the changes, including a new name (internal name, not the name in the Finder), save it;
– add and icns file, if considered useful, otherwise you will have a generic grey one;
– export it or simply move the keylayout file or bundle file to /Library/Keyboard Layouts
– restart the machine (better than log out and in again)
– go to sys prefs/Keyboard/Input and activate it - it may be under Others, if no language/script is assigned to it;
– it will be displayed in the upper right corner and may be used.

<SC02.jpg><SC01.jpg>

Gé van Gasteren

Feb 3, 2021, 9:28:23 AM2/3/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I think you did great so far, but just missed one little thing:
In the Organiser, you have to first set the folder where you have saved your keyboard layout.
Otherwise, the leftmost column is empty, as in your screenshot.
So click on "Set Folder…" and navigate to the folder that contains your file.

Good luck!

David Tamas

Feb 4, 2021, 2:02:15 AM2/4/21
to Ukelele Users
thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, Adding the folder didn't work. Somehow the new layout didn't appear in Keyboard Preferences. Even though I restarted.

But I managed to install it by simply saving the keyboard layout into my library, then installing manually from there. (not exporting as a disc)

Sorin Paliga

Feb 4, 2021, 2:42:27 AM2/4/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
It has been reported that keylayouts added to the user level (usually marked as ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts) do not work, they should be put in /Library/Keyboard Layouts. But perhaps you put them there from the very beginning.

Sorin Paliga

Feb 4, 2021, 12:31:11 PM2/4/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
So:

a. Unfortunately, Adding the folder didn't work. Somehow the new layout didn't appear in Keyboard Preferences. Even though I restarted.

I forgot the initial discussion: what folder did you add? And where?

b. "But I managed to install it by simply saving the keyboard layout into my library,”

This is a wrong decision, while working with a keylayout, which is in an interim, unfinished state, you should NEVER save in directly in the library.
While in its unfinished state, save the keylayout file anywhere outside the /Library, e.g. on your desktop or in the Documents folder.

c. then installing manually from there. (not exporting as a disc)”

Yes, one may simply drag-and-drop a keylayout file to its destination: /Library/Keyboard Layouts, but this should be done when all ready, i.e. when you consider your work done and ready for testing/first use. If something goes wrong, go back to your keylayout and improve it. This is why it is recommend to move to /Library/Keyboard Layouts a copy, and let the keylayout file for some time in its interim location. To move a copy, press Option/Alt file while dragging the file to its location, this will create a copy of it, while the original remains untouched.

Gé van Gasteren

Feb 4, 2021, 1:08:02 PM2/4/21
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I’m not sure what you mean by "adding the folder".
Therefore, I’m in doubt that you understood my suggestion to click on the "Set Folder…" button.

Using Ukelele’s built-in Organiser is the easiest and safest way to install a keyboard layout you have created yourself.
Unfortunately, it is not discussed or even linked to in the Quick Start section of the PDF manual.
Have a look at section 6.9.1. "Choosing the folder for installation" on page 46 (the page is marked as "page 42").
Actually, have you found that manual? From Ukelele’s Help menu, choose "Ukelele Manual (PDF)".

Keep us posted :)