Virgin Atlantic calls for short-haul APD increase

jcur...@nospamgooglemail.com

Jul 18, 2011, 6:54:42 AM7/18/11
Source: http://www.travelweekly.co.uk

....The carrier issued the demand today, arguing passengers flying
longer distances “have suffered far greater tax increases”. It
suggested increasing APD on flights to Europe would be “fairer” and
that an £8 increase would be no more than “low-cost airlines charge to
book with a debit card”....

Full Story

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2011/07/18/37673/virgin-atlantic-calls-for-short-haul-apd-increase.html

tim....

Jul 18, 2011, 8:10:18 AM7/18/11

<jcur...@NOSPAMgooglemail.com> wrote in message

I'm inclined to agree that the jump from 12 pounds to 60 pounds between 1999
and 2001 miles is unjustifiably large, but I'm not convinced that this is
the solution

tim

jcur...@googlemail.com

Jul 18, 2011, 11:21:47 AM7/18/11
On Jul 18, 1:10 pm, "tim...." <tims_new_h...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> >http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2011/07/18/37673/virgin-atlant...

> I'm inclined to agree that the jump from 12 pounds to 60 pounds between 1999
> and 2001 miles is unjustifiably large, but I'm not convinced that this is
> the solution

Agreed but why cry wolf at other airline's add-ons, VA have their own
varieties?

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)

Jul 20, 2011, 6:49:44 AM7/20/11
tim.... <tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Would it be really complex just to charge by distance?

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)

William Black

Jul 20, 2011, 7:12:07 AM7/20/11
On 20/07/11 11:49, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
> tim....<tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> <jcur...@NOSPAMgooglemail.com> wrote in message
>>> Source: http://www.travelweekly.co.uk
>>>
>>> ....The carrier issued the demand today, arguing passengers flying
>>> longer distances "have suffered far greater tax increases". It
>>> suggested increasing APD on flights to Europe would be "fairer" and
>>> that an £8 increase would be no more than "low-cost airlines charge to
>>> book with a debit card"....
>>>
>>> Full Story
>>>

>>> http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2011/07/18/37673/virgin-atlantic-c
>>> alls-for-short-haul-apd-increase.html
>>
>> I'm inclined to agree that the jump from 12 pounds to 60 pounds between 1999
>> and 2001 miles is unjustifiably large, but I'm not convinced that this is
>> the solution
>
> Would it be really complex just to charge by distance?

It's complex enough already.

People can avoid it by booking two flights rather than a single
connecting one.

There are luggage issues, but if you're flying with only hand luggage
this isn't a problem.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...

Roland Perry

Jul 20, 2011, 7:15:25 AM7/20/11
In message <1k4pcu6.17m992lld7kuoN%d4g...@yahoo.co.uk>, at 11:49:44 on
Wed, 20 Jul 2011, "David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)"
<d4g...@yahoo.co.uk> remarked:

>> I'm inclined to agree that the jump from 12 pounds to 60 pounds between 1999
>> and 2001 miles is unjustifiably large, but I'm not convinced that this is
>> the solution
>
>Would it be really complex just to charge by distance?

It already is, but perhaps you'd prefer more bands?
--
Roland Perry

tim....

Jul 20, 2011, 8:42:15 AM7/20/11

"William Black" <black...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On 20/07/11 11:49, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
>> tim....<tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> <jcur...@NOSPAMgooglemail.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm inclined to agree that the jump from 12 pounds to 60 pounds between
>>> 1999
>>> and 2001 miles is unjustifiably large, but I'm not convinced that this
>>> is
>>> the solution
>>
>> Would it be really complex just to charge by distance?
>>
> It's complex enough already.
>
> People can avoid it by booking two flights rather than a single connecting
> one.

Note that they can only do that by "separately" booking two flights.

If they are connecting flights on the same ticket APD is charged as per the
final destination

> There are luggage issues, but if you're flying with only hand luggage this
> isn't a problem.

With or without luggage you still have to take the risk of the first flight
being late/cancelled. Not sure that it's worth it to save 48 pounds!

tim

tim....

Jul 20, 2011, 8:45:19 AM7/20/11

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" <d4g...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> tim.... <tims_n...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> <jcur...@NOSPAMgooglemail.com> wrote in message
>> > Source: http://www.travelweekly.co.uk
>> >
>> > ....The carrier issued the demand today, arguing passengers flying
>> > longer distances "have suffered far greater tax increases". It
>> > suggested increasing APD on flights to Europe would be "fairer" and
>> > that an £8 increase would be no more than "low-cost airlines charge to
>> > book with a debit card"....
>> >
>> > Full Story
>> >

>> >http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2011/07/18/37673/virgin-atlantic-c
>> >alls-for-short-haul-apd-increase.html
>>
>> I'm inclined to agree that the jump from 12 pounds to 60 pounds between
>> 1999
>> and 2001 miles is unjustifiably large, but I'm not convinced that this is
>> the solution
>
> Would it be really complex just to charge by distance?

No, but what would you charge?

It starts off at 20 pounds per 1000 miles and ends up at about 8 pounds per
1000.

What number would you need to collect the same revenue?

Would there be too many losers at this level?

tim

William Black

Jul 20, 2011, 8:50:24 AM7/20/11

I imagine it depends on how far you're going, how many of you there and
what the cost of a hotel is.

For a family of four it's probably cheaper to take a flight the next day
and take a family room at a hotel,