weird link

Andy Burns

Jul 25, 2023, 4:32:08 AM7/25/23

Java Jive

Jul 25, 2023, 4:54:22 AM7/25/23
They look identical in Pale Moon 32.2.1 with Classic Toolbar Buttons,
UBlock Origin, and YesScript?

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

The Natural Philosopher

Jul 25, 2023, 5:20:15 AM7/25/23
On 25/07/2023 09:54, Java Jive wrote:
> On 25/07/2023 09:32, Andy Burns wrote:
>> <https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2018124?clickPR=plp:2:2>
>>
>> without query/params
>>
>> <https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2018124>
>
> They look identical in Pale Moon 32.2.1 with Classic Toolbar Buttons,
> UBlock Origin, and YesScript?

Ditto Firefox/Ublock origin.

--
“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.”

Herbert Spencer

Andy Burns

Jul 25, 2023, 5:24:47 AM7/25/23
Java Jive wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> <https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2018124?clickPR=plp:2:2>
>>
>> <https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2018124>
>
> They look identical in Pale Moon 32.2.1 with Classic Toolbar Buttons,
> UBlock Origin, and YesScript?

With firefox as the default browser, the first one opens a new blank
window (rather than a new tab) and then displays the page source, rather
than rendering the page.

It doesn't do it by copy/pasting the URL, only when launching it from
thunderbird, wonder if there's anything exploitable about whatever it's
doing?

The Natural Philosopher

Jul 25, 2023, 5:30:49 AM7/25/23
On 25/07/2023 10:24, Andy Burns wrote:
> Java Jive wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> <https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2018124?clickPR=plp:2:2>
>>>
>>> <https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2018124>
>>
>> They look identical in Pale Moon 32.2.1 with Classic Toolbar Buttons,
>> UBlock Origin, and YesScript?
>
> With firefox as the default browser, the first one opens a new blank
> window (rather than a new tab) and then displays the page source, rather
> than rendering the page.

Doesn't do it with my Firefox and thunderbird. Looks like its a
thunderbird bug.

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Bob Henson

Jul 25, 2023, 5:53:57 AM7/25/23
Both identical here from clicking the link in Thunderbird and using
Chrome browser.

--
Tetbury, Gloucestershire , UK

Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant - Tacitus

Java Jive

Jul 25, 2023, 5:55:22 AM7/25/23
On 25/07/2023 10:24, Andy Burns wrote:
Thunderbird has always been a pain for clicking on URLs, I'm still using
a rather old version because AFAIAA it's the last that behaves properly
in that respect, on both my systems at least. It's too old a version to
be able to use the new analy retentive GoogleMail's OAuth2, but
GoogleMail is no loss to me.

Andy Burns

Jul 25, 2023, 5:57:27 AM7/25/23
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Doesn't do it with my Firefox and thunderbird. Looks like its a
> thunderbird bug.

possibly, I'm running TBv115

Andy Burns

Jul 25, 2023, 6:01:15 AM7/25/23
Java Jive wrote:

> Thunderbird has always been a pain for clicking on URLs

sometimes yes, it can get confused by delimiters or wrapped URLs, but in
this case the whole link is shown in blue before clicking, so I don't
think that's the case here.
> too old a version to
> be able to use the new analy retentive GoogleMail's OAuth2, but
> GoogleMail is no loss to me.

Gmail isn't the only email provider insisting on oAuth2.

The Natural Philosopher

Jul 25, 2023, 6:38:54 AM7/25/23
I'm running 102. I am not sure how you actually can invoke FF with an
'open page source'

I think this is a reportable bug, myself if you can reliably duplicate
it, though whether its firefox or thunderbirds is moot.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Andy Burns

Jul 25, 2023, 7:08:31 AM7/25/23
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> I think this is a reportable bug, myself if you can reliably duplicate
> it, though whether its firefox or thunderbirds is moot.

Very repeatable, but turns out it's caused by an "unverified by mozilla"
add-on called "Enable Right Click & Copy", which prevents sites using
javascript to prevent copy/paste ... now removed.

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/absolute-enable-right-click>