The Mystery of Cell Towers

Richmond

Feb 6, 2024, 10:53:52 AMFeb 6
In the manual for Network Cell Info (NCI) it says:

"NOTE! We do not show tower locations, but indications of cell locations
from Mozilla MLS database. We do not have tower database."

What is a cell which is not a tower? Maybe the type which is on a
lampost? Why does NCI need the Mozilla database?

It seems to me if you know where someone is, and that someone is moving,
and that someone is in range of more than one cell then you ought to be
able to work out where the signal is coming from.

In the Mozilla link below it says they get info from NCI.

I have two apps installed, Open Signal, and NCI, and they don't seem to
agree with each other about where cell towers are, or even agree with
themselves, as cell towers sometimes vanish.

https://www.m2catalyst.com/manual

https://wiki.mozilla.org/CloudServices/Location/Software#Android

Richmond

Feb 6, 2024, 10:56:08 AMFeb 6