Sipgate no out-going audio

Xev

Jul 21, 2022, 9:40:55 AM7/21/22
For the last two days my two Sipgate phones have no out-going audio, in
coming is ok

Anyone getting the same, or do I look deeper into my setup.

Woody

Jul 21, 2022, 11:30:27 AM7/21/22
Dig into the config and make sure they are registered on the system.
Your SIP port will be 5060 or 5061 if your are using the old config, or
43160 or 43161 if you are using the newer config.

Andy Burns

Jul 21, 2022, 12:58:15 PM7/21/22
Have you got STUN/TURN settings in your phones, are they pointing to sipgate?

Woody

Jul 21, 2022, 1:19:52 PM7/21/22

Xev

Jul 21, 2022, 3:07:46 PM7/21/22
"Woody" <harro...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestions Trying to access the settings, I can't get into
the pap2 box,
so I think the trouble will be in there.

I've just been told there was a power cut a couple of days ago, that may be
the cause of the problem.

I'll investigate further tomorrow,

Woody

Jul 22, 2022, 2:16:25 AM7/22/22
A power cut won't trouble a PAP2T - I have a couple and never had any
issues.

I would power cycle it and then watch for the network LED showing
activity. If there is no life (assuming the power light is on) I would
try a different cable onto a different port of your router.

Xev

Jul 22, 2022, 9:48:39 AM7/22/22
"Woody" <harro...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
Thanks for suggestions. I reconnected it this morning and it's all working
again.

I probably didn't off for long enough before.

I've had this PAP2 for at least 6 or 7 years with no trouble, very reliable.

Thanks again

Brian Gregory

Aug 16, 2022, 1:40:01 PM8/16/22
Working sipgate settings here:

On device:
Registrar: sipgate.co.uk
Outbound Proxy: sipgate.co.uk
NAT keepalive: 25 secs
Subscription Expiry: 3600 secs

In my router:
SIP ALG: Off
RTSP ALG: On

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

David Higton

Aug 16, 2022, 5:38:50 PM8/16/22
In message <jm233f...@mid.individual.net>
Brian Gregory <void-invalid...@email.invalid> wrote:

> Working sipgate settings here:
>
> On device:
> Registrar: sipgate.co.uk
> Outbound Proxy: sipgate.co.uk
> NAT keepalive: 25 secs
> Subscription Expiry: 3600 secs
>
> In my router:
> SIP ALG: Off
> RTSP ALG: On

But RTSP has nothing to do with SIP or Sipgate, surely?

David

Brian Gregory

Aug 16, 2022, 7:08:24 PM8/16/22
Once a call connects the audio transfers using RTSP.

Brian Gregory

Aug 16, 2022, 7:54:41 PM8/16/22
And indeed I just tested and with RTSP ALG disabled and I can't hear the
incoming audio.

Bob Eager

Aug 17, 2022, 5:13:50 AM8/17/22
Exactly. The clue being that SIP stands for Session Initiation Protocole!

David Higton

Aug 17, 2022, 3:08:21 PM8/17/22
In message <jm2mb5...@mid.individual.net>
Is this something new? The audio used to be transferred by RTP. I've
only known RTSP used for controlling an audio stream, e.g. play, stop,
pause, skip back etc. a recording.

David

Woody

Aug 17, 2022, 3:17:49 PM8/17/22
Suspect a typo. My PAP2T's and a Panasonic SIPphone both use RTP and
work perfectly.

David Higton

Aug 17, 2022, 4:49:07 PM8/17/22
In message <tdjesr$h4nf$1...@dont-email.me>
I do. I'm not trying to trip anyone up. It's a very long time since I
wrote a SIP UA, so I've forgotten a lot of stuff. But I am aware that
moves were being made to control recording of RTP in air traffic control
applications by means of RTSP; the sessions were to be set up by SIP,
but, rather than set up a new session for every radio transmission, the
session would remain open and the recordings demarcated by using RTSP,
thus avoiding the delay of setting up a new session and therefore missing
crucial fragments of audio. Hence it seemed possible that RTSP had got
into wider use with SIP.

RTSP is a misnomer as it's a control protocol, not a streaming protocol.
I just checked with Wikipedia to refresh my memory. But I guess they
couldn't call it RTCP because that name is already taken by the RTCP
part of RTP.

David

Brian Gregory

Aug 20, 2022, 2:12:55 PM8/20/22
On 17/08/2022 21:48, David Higton wrote:
> RTSP is a misnomer as it's a control protocol, not a streaming protocol.
> I just checked with Wikipedia to refresh my memory. But I guess they
> couldn't call it RTCP because that name is already taken by the RTCP
> part of RTP.

Thanks for clarifying.

As far as I remember the incoming audio didn't come through if I
disabled RTSP ALG.

However I note that there at least two different ways of allocating and
using ports with RTP, one of which would, I suspect, remove the need for
the RTSP ALG.

I don't really know if, or how, RTSP is really being using.

Just one final note, RTSP ALG enabled was my router's default. I didn't
find out that, at least in my case, it was needed for VOIP, until I
decided to tighten up security by manually disabling all ALGs that I
don't need.