Sky and Sipgate

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Dec 21, 2016, 6:22:31 PM12/21/16
Help please. Having problems with a Yealink T28 and Sipgate (and A&A) accounts after changing to Sky and the new Sky router. Previously worked fine with Talktalk and Plusnet but I've made that many changes to the phone's settings fiddling it's like fumbling in the dark with a car engine and realising I've dismantled it to meccano level.

I've updated the phone's firmware to latest version and put my details in exactly as at
https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/204237021-Yealink including local SIP port to 49860 and setting NAT to STUN.

I can't reach the phone on http:// IPv4 address but can on http:// [IPv6] address. The phone is set to use both IP v4 and IP v6 networking. The phone says it has an IP v4 address but isn't currently showing on "Attached devices" to the hub with IP v4, but is with IP v6.

I've opened an IP v6 firewall for incoming UDP to the phone.

I know Sky routers have issues with ALG and Sky help don't have a script to cope with it. (I thought IP v6 was supposed to solve lots of these problems)

The phone sends ages "sending provision requests" then tries to register with its line key(s) flashing very festively but always Register Fails.

Any suggestions for a methodical approach? If I can get one account working then I can start incrementing port numbers etc for the rest (and my mother who is in hospital will be able to phone me for christmas)

Thanks

Owain

Woody

Dec 22, 2016, 3:03:14 AM12/22/16

<spuorg...@gowanhill.com> wrote in message
Have you asked anyone/anywhere if Sky permit use of VoIP? If you are
using the usual 5060 address it could well be blocked as Sky see it as
loss of revenue.

In France it is common to see free wi-fi around the Mairie's office in
many towns and villages, but that service is provided by Orange France
who block 5060 to stop revenue loss. (For that matter they also block
the usual mail client ports (25/110/465/995) so that you can only use
web mail.) Or put it another way the service is for surfing and that's
your lot. It may be that Sky do something similar in their own way
although a quick Google does seem to suggest from Sky responses that
they don't deliberately block VoIP.

Hmmm......

One of the reasons I'm glad I'm with VM as VoIP works a dream.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Dec 22, 2016, 4:51:44 AM12/22/16
On Thursday, 22 December 2016 08:03:14 UTC, Woody wrote:
> Have you asked anyone/anywhere if Sky permit use of VoIP? If you are
> using the usual 5060 address it could well be blocked as Sky see it as
> loss of revenue.

They advertise "unlimited" broadband and if they do limit it by blocking VoIP they will be getting a very strongly worded letter before action.

Their helpdesk did not say they blocked VoIP.

Owain

Christof Meerwald

Dec 22, 2016, 5:12:25 AM12/22/16
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 08:03:16 -0000, Woody wrote:
> Have you asked anyone/anywhere if Sky permit use of VoIP? If you are
> using the usual 5060 address it could well be blocked as Sky see it as
> loss of revenue.

But that would be in violation of net neutrality rules -
https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/open-internet-net-neutrality

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org

Andy Burns

Dec 22, 2016, 6:09:09 AM12/22/16
spuorg...@gowanhill.com wrote:

> Having problems with a Yealink T28 and Sipgate (and A&A) accounts
> after changing to Sky and the new Sky router.

Did you have uPnP enabled on the old router, but not on the new one?

Did you have port 5060 SIP forwarding on the router, or a block (e.g.
50000-59999) of RTP ports?

Were using a STUN/TURN server provided by your old ISP but not
accessible to Sky?

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Dec 22, 2016, 9:13:51 AM12/22/16
On Thursday, 22 December 2016 11:09:09 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
> Did you have uPnP enabled on the old router, but not on the new one?

I don't think the old router had uPnP. It would be about 8 years old. It just worked so I never updated it. Have just turned it on on Sky Router and rebooted phone. It goes through Provisioning then Registering but fails to register.

> Did you have port 5060 SIP forwarding on the router, or a block (e.g.
> 50000-59999) of RTP ports?

Not AFAIK

> Were using a STUN/TURN server provided by your old ISP but not
> accessible to Sky?

STUN server is the sipgate one. From the laptop:

Pinging stun.sipgate.net [217.10.68.152] with 32 byte
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

From the router diagnostics DNS test stun.sipgate.net resolves the above IP v4 address but does not resolve IP v6.

I've tried changing the phone to IP v4 networking only and rebooted it, but no success either.

I don't know if it's relevant but I have set the phone's time server to ntp1.isp.sky.com and it isn't picking up the time either.

Thanks

Owain

R. Mark Clayton

Dec 22, 2016, 11:44:29 AM12/22/16
The question here is do $ky block VOIP?

Any know?

Nick

Dec 22, 2016, 12:32:45 PM12/22/16
I'm pretty sure sipgate do not do IP v6.

I suspect it is the phone rather than Sky. Why not try a SIP client on
your laptop or mobile phone. If that works it rules out Sky as the problem.

Woody

Dec 22, 2016, 1:55:40 PM12/22/16

"Nick" <Nick...@Yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
If you want a SIP client to try in Windoze get Phonerlite. It is free,
a doddle to set up, and it <works!>

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Dec 22, 2016, 4:31:23 PM12/22/16
On Thursday, 22 December 2016 17:32:45 UTC, Nick wrote:
> I'm pretty sure sipgate do not do IP v6.

They say they do

https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/207879635-IPv6
https://twitter.com/sipgateuk/status/603220729375662080

> I suspect it is the phone rather than Sky. Why not try a SIP client on
> your laptop or mobile phone. If that works it rules out Sky as the problem.

Will try connecting tablet wirelessly tomorrow ... and then see if I can put a SIP client on it; Sipgate recommend
https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/204151802-Zoiper-Android-Apple-iOS-

hopefully it won't need much configuring.

Thanks

Owain

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Dec 22, 2016, 6:39:10 PM12/22/16
On Wednesday, 21 December 2016 23:22:31 UTC, spuorg...@gowanhill.com wrote:
> Help please. Having problems with a Yealink T28 and Sipgate (and A&A)
> accounts after changing to Sky and the new Sky router.

Thanks to Nick's suggestion I've got Zoiper on Android working with 2 Sipgate accounts through the Sky router, using mostly the built-in settings.

Connecting with the built-in settings STUN *on* and RPORT *on* registered but had no incoming audio. Changing to RPORT *off* and it worked beautifully. Phew.

I do have RPORT disabled on the Yealink already.

Owain

Graham.

Dec 22, 2016, 8:26:03 PM12/22/16
I have been using Sipgate and a myriad of other providers with Sky
Broadband ever since the demise of BE.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Dec 23, 2016, 3:41:36 AM12/23/16
On Friday, 23 December 2016 01:26:03 UTC, Graham. wrote:
> I have been using Sipgate and a myriad of other providers with Sky
> Broadband ever since the demise of BE.

It's a relief to confirm that the problems are with my phone settings. Infuriating to have to sort it myself, but at least it confirms it's sortable ... in theory.

Owain

Graham.

Dec 23, 2016, 11:54:33 AM12/23/16
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 00:41:35 -0800 (PST), spuorg...@gowanhill.com
wrote:
Or perhaps your router. AFAIK, in theory your agreement with Sky
forbids you from using your own router, where I, being ex BE, have a
dispensation ;-)

Aren't I the lucky one?

Actually I never would have thought I would still be with Sky after so
long. The main problem is Internet outages of half an hour or more
(router remains in sync) admittedly always in the wee small hours, but
all the phones here are VoIP, and if it cuts off the Management while
talking to her sister, I'm in the doghouse the rest of the day.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Woody

Dec 23, 2016, 1:36:29 PM12/23/16

"Graham." <graham...@mail.com> wrote in message
I would have thought the simplest solution would be to (effectively)
set the Sky router into modem mode and connect you own router onto one
of its outlet ports. That is what I have done (but you are allowed to)
with VM. The reason of course that Sky impose this term is so that
they can get into the router remotely and look at or fiddle with it.
Don't think I would like any remote organisation mssing with my kit.
Security? Wassat?

The only reason that you can't switch routers (apart from the
Contract) is that Sky require to router to log on with username and
password which they won't tell you - unlike BT who use the line
number. A bit of Googling will tell you how to find the username and
password but it is a real faff - makes you wonder if it is really
worth it?

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Dec 23, 2016, 3:19:21 PM12/23/16
On Friday, 23 December 2016 18:36:29 UTC, Woody wrote:
> The only reason that you can't switch routers (apart from the
> Contract) is that Sky require to router to log on with username and
> password which they won't tell you - unlike BT who use the line
> number. A bit of Googling will tell you how to find the username and
> password but it is a real faff - makes you wonder if it is really
> worth it?

I quite like the Sky router - I like the idea of being able to use IP v6 and I also seem to be getting a fairly significant speed increase.

Will probably spend Xmas Day comparing settings in the SIP phone and the softphone carefully to see why one works and t'other doesn't.

Owain