Today I am cursing BT

Vir Campestris

Jun 16, 2021, 4:48:12 PM6/16/21
I've got an FTTP connection.

When it was installed the Openreach guy installed a socket for us in the
room next to the modem & router for the 'phone, connected to one of the
TEL sockets on the router.

At the time he installed it we had a dial tone on that socket, and we
could make outgoing calls; the POTS circuit was still taking all the
incoming calls.

They've just enabled "digital voice".

So I plugged the 'phone into the socket ready for it and...

Nothing. Rien, nada, zilch, nothing.

And the POTS line won't allow outgoing calls any more.

I even looked at the router, and saw there are no 'phone sockets on
that, and tried the second socked on the modem.

Still nothing.

I've now gone through BT's fault finder.

It turns out there _is_ a 'phone socket on the router, hidden under a
black label on a black background in a cupboard... no beware of the
leopard sign though.

That socket is live for calls.

But... it won't reach the wire to the socket Openreach installed for us.

Andy

Nikolaj Lazic

Jun 16, 2021, 5:32:05 PM6/16/21
Dana Wed, 16 Jun 2021 21:48:10 +0100, Vir Campestris <vir.cam...@invalid.invalid> napis'o:
Connect it to any 'phone socket at your home that used to provide POTS.
They are all connected in parallel.
Just use a standard phone cable to connect that phone socket on your fresh
device to the nearest socket that you used to connect standard phone.

Vir Campestris

Jun 20, 2021, 4:28:30 PM6/20/21
I'm only grumbling now.

They've sent me a VOIP adapter for my landline 'phone for free. They've
also sent a cordless VOIP phone, which I _think_ is free. So the only
remaining things are that I have a socket to remove and the minor
problem that I can no longer make calls to tell the electricity company
when the power goes off. TBH that happens less often here than it did
when we lived in a town.

Andy

Brian Gregory

Jun 20, 2021, 10:40:58 PM6/20/21
On 16/06/2021 22:32, Nikolaj Lazic wrote:
> Connect it to any 'phone socket at your home that used to provide POTS.
> They are all connected in parallel.
> Just use a standard phone cable to connect that phone socket on your fresh
> device to the nearest socket that you used to connect standard phone.

That only works if the connection (possibly via a filter) to the actual
line has been removed.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Nikolaj Lazic

Jun 21, 2021, 4:43:46 AM6/21/21
Dana Mon, 21 Jun 2021 03:40:55 +0100, Brian Gregory <void-invalid...@email.invalid> napis'o:
That is what I wrote. His complete house is in parallel. If they gave him
fiber, than he does not have connection to the outside world. But internal
network still works.
But I thought that that device would make all his old phones as voip
phones.
But he wrote that he received a voip phone from them.
Is it necesary to hav voip phone while that box has POTS connectors on it?

Woody

Jun 21, 2021, 5:20:29 AM6/21/21
No. A VoIP phone connects by Ethernet directly into the network. If the
box has a POTS connector on it (most likely a RJ11) then all that may be
needed is a replacement RJ11-RJ11 cable instead of the RJ11-local POTS
connector.

Just check if a VoIP phone is used that it is not relying upon PoE
(power over ethernet) for power which the box may not provide, or
equally that anything in the conventional phone is expecting line
voltage to support it in any way as that will likely not be available
either.

notya...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2021, 9:57:06 AM6/21/21
Well use a mobile to phone the electric company.

I live in a city and we had no involuntary supply side disconnection for 45 years, until last November when ~6,000 houses were knocked off for three minutes. OTOH we are on the same patch as a major hospital and there used to be two.

Nikolaj Lazic

Jun 21, 2021, 4:22:31 PM6/21/21
Dana Mon, 21 Jun 2021 10:20:28 +0100, Woody <harro...@ntlworld.com> napis'o:
> On Mon 21/06/2021 09:43, Nikolaj Lazic wrote:
>> Dana Mon, 21 Jun 2021 03:40:55 +0100, Brian Gregory <void-invalid...@email.invalid> napis'o:
>>>
>>> That only works if the connection (possibly via a filter) to the actual
>>> line has been removed.
>>
>> That is what I wrote. His complete house is in parallel. If they gave him
>> fiber, than he does not have connection to the outside world. But internal
>> network still works.
>> But I thought that that device would make all his old phones as voip
>> phones.
>> But he wrote that he received a voip phone from them.
>> Is it necesary to hav voip phone while that box has POTS connectors on it?
>>

> No. A VoIP phone connects by Ethernet directly into the network. If the

True... but if he wants to use his old POTS network it would be great
if he could connect his whole POTS home network (all connected in
parallel) to the POTS connector on the voip box. And than all his old
phones would act as the same voip phone. :)

That is what I did with my ADSL with voip on it. It has two POTS connectors
on it and transfers these to voip from my provider.
I connected one RJ11 to one part of the house and second one to another
part. And whole "POTS network" stayed the same, parallel connection.
I just plugged RJ11-RJ11 from the ADSL device to my phone socket and
connected whole POTS network to my ADSL device serving as a voip device.

> box has a POTS connector on it (most likely a RJ11) then all that may be
> needed is a replacement RJ11-RJ11 cable instead of the RJ11-local POTS
> connector.

That's what I'm talking about. :)

Vir Campestris

Jun 24, 2021, 4:58:25 PM6/24/21
On 21/06/2021 09:43, Nikolaj Lazic wrote:
> That is what I wrote. His complete house is in parallel. If they gave him
> fiber, than he does not have connection to the outside world. But internal
> network still works.
> But I thought that that device would make all his old phones as voip
> phones.
> But he wrote that he received a voip phone from them.
> Is it necesary to hav voip phone while that box has POTS connectors on it?

No POTS at all now ( I disconnected the internal stuff at an external
joint) and it wouldn't have helped anyway - not anywhere near the fibre.

The fibre is run into the understairs cupboard which can be a micro data
centre. The POTS went to a different part of the house where someone in
the past thought it would be a good idea to have the 'phone.

Andy

Nikolaj Lazic

Jun 24, 2021, 8:19:43 PM6/24/21
Dana Thu, 24 Jun 2021 21:58:23 +0100, Vir Campestris <vir.cam...@invalid.invalid> napis'o:
> On 21/06/2021 09:43, Nikolaj Lazic wrote:
>> That is what I wrote. His complete house is in parallel. If they gave him
>> fiber, than he does not have connection to the outside world. But internal
>> network still works.
>> But I thought that that device would make all his old phones as voip
>> phones.
>> But he wrote that he received a voip phone from them.
>> Is it necesary to hav voip phone while that box has POTS connectors on it?
>
> No POTS at all now ( I disconnected the internal stuff at an external
> joint) and it wouldn't have helped anyway - not anywhere near the fibre.

We used to have phones on all the rooms around the flat.
All in parallel. And any outlet could be the main connection point.
Especially near your understairs cupboard. :)

Nowadays... you have to find where you've left your mobile phone. :)

Bob Eager

Jun 25, 2021, 2:01:55 AM6/25/21
On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 00:19:42 +0000, Nikolaj Lazic wrote:

> We used to have phones on all the rooms around the flat.
> All in parallel. And any outlet could be the main connection point.
> Especially near your understairs cupboard.
>
> Nowadays... you have to find where you've left your mobile phone.

Which is why we have a VoIP phone in almost every room.

Nikolaj Lazic

Jun 25, 2021, 3:01:07 AM6/25/21
Dana 25 Jun 2021 06:01:54 GMT, Bob Eager <news...@eager.cx> napis'o:
You could still have your old phones acting as voip the old way.
And not change anything.

But, ok... voip phones in all rooms let you call the room. :)

Andy Burns

Jun 26, 2021, 8:26:17 AM6/26/21
Nikolaj Lazic wrote:

> Nowadays... you have to find where you've left your mobile phone.

Hey google, where's my phone?

🎵ringtone

Nikolaj Lazic

Jun 27, 2021, 3:51:15 AM6/27/21
Dana Sat, 26 Jun 2021 13:26:14 +0100, Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> napis'o:
:) I have "non-smart" mobile phone. Low energy consumption. :)
Eco friendly.

notya...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2021, 11:00:32 AM6/27/21
I have a smart mobile phone. It saves me carrying a tablet, address book, scanner, GPS navigator, calculator, camera, compass, atlas, books, car manual, radio, torch, railcard, loyalty cards, calendar, documents, sound meter, pulse checker, signal strength meter, and watch (although I have a solar watch, which needs no batteries). It doesn't use any more energy than previous phones and a lot less than my first.

Vir Campestris

Jul 1, 2021, 1:04:45 PM7/1/21
On 27/06/2021 16:00, notya...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a smart mobile phone. It saves me carrying a tablet, address book, scanner, GPS navigator, calculator, camera, compass, atlas, books, car manual, radio, torch, railcard, loyalty cards, calendar, documents, sound meter, pulse checker, signal strength meter, and watch (although I have a solar watch, which needs no batteries). It doesn't use any more energy than previous phones and a lot less than my first.

How long does your battery last?

I've just retired my feature phone - it was dying after well over 10
years. But even at that age the battery life is weeks.

The Nokia 8 I've been given to play with seems to last a couple of days.

Andy

notya...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2021, 7:28:43 AM7/2/21
Technophone Mk I / II (1986) would not last all day, kept in a charging stand when at work - lent to MOSI 2006-16
Motorola Elite (1992) a day or two - failed water ingress
Motorola Timeports (3 off 1999-2001) two or three days - still working, although one has damaged charging port.
Nokia N79 (2009) two or three days - still working
Nokia N8 (2011) two days - still working, lens cover broken
Samsung Galaxy S7 (2017) ?? - systemic faults, replaced by
Samsung Galaxy S8 (2018) two days

The S8 is affected by whether I travel about and whether Bluetooth is on. The NHS Covid app' keeps it on 24/7 and this tends to run the phone down faster.

Vir Campestris

Jul 2, 2021, 4:43:38 PM7/2/21
Then it sounds as though your smartphones - like the N8 I have - use
about an order of magnitude more power than my old feature 'phone.

Andy

notya...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2021, 12:50:15 PM7/4/21
If you mean stellar magnitude (~2.5 times) yes it probably does. If you mean mathematical (ten times) then it almost certainly doesn't.

OTOH smartphones still last a day or two (longer if unused features are disabled), whereas original 1G phones were lucky to last 8 hours.

Woody

Jul 4, 2021, 1:53:08 PM7/4/21
Never heard of a Nokia 6210i or 6310i? I used to charge mine every other
day, and if unused for calls or whatever it would easily last over a
week between recharges.

Vir Campestris

Jul 4, 2021, 4:55:02 PM7/4/21
On 04/07/2021 17:50, notya...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Then it sounds as though your smartphones - like the N8 I have - use
>> about an order of magnitude more power than my old feature 'phone.
>>

> If you mean stellar magnitude (~2.5 times) yes it probably does. If you mean mathematical (ten times) then it almost certainly doesn't.
>
> OTOH smartphones still last a day or two (longer if unused features are disabled), whereas original 1G phones were lucky to last 8 hours.

I mean mathematical.

My old Samsung GT C3350 would easily do a month on a charge. The N8 is a
couple of days.

Andy