GXP1615

Malcolm Loades

Feb 25, 2022, 3:08:26 AMFeb 25
I setup a Grandstream GXP1615 for a new Sipgate account and sent it to
Zimbabwe. A cunning idea to get free calls between it and my Sipgate
number in the UK. And it works well.

My only concern is that should it ever lose the Sipgate settings I
entered it will not be possible for my user there to replace them - they
are 110% impractical.

My question is how long will the phone retain it's settings when not
powered up? It's just possible that at some point it will not have
power for several weeks.

Malcolm

notya...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2022, 7:48:35 AMFeb 25
well get a Voipfone account - easy set up: -

Server - sip.voipfone.net
Account - 301xxxxx
Password - whatever you set it to, can be changed online.

Malcolm Loades

Feb 25, 2022, 3:18:55 PMFeb 25
Thanks for the useless answer.

What is an easy set-up for you and me is not an easy setup for a 78 year
old lady who has less than zero computer knowledge.

Sipgate are no different to Voipfone. But it doesn't end there in this
third world country where both bandwidth and data aren't cheap so the
Grandstream needed programming to force G.729 rather than the default
G.711 I can't recall the other tweaks I did but it was more than
entering name password and server.

Malcolm

grinch

Feb 26, 2022, 4:05:18 AMFeb 26
I know this is stating the blindingly obvious, but speak to the
manufacture and explain what your issues are. They may have an answer
which is more useful than our pure guesswork.

I have known cisco routers config to still be there after being switched
off for more than a year.

I personally don't think it will be an issue but I am only guessing due
to previous experience of other products NVRAM.

Theo

Feb 26, 2022, 5:38:48 AMFeb 26
Malcolm Loades <dev...@loades.net> wrote:
> My question is how long will the phone retain it's settings when not
> powered up? It's just possible that at some point it will not have
> power for several weeks.

Looking at the internal photos:
https://fccid.io/YZZGXP16XXV2/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-3042546

There's no signs of a battery backup. There's a capacitor, but not one for
retaining memory. There's also what's probably a flash chip - 8 pin square,
to the left of the big rectangular chip. I can't read the writing but guess
that's an SPI flash.

Normal practice these days is to use flash for storing settings, so I would
have no worries sending something preconfigured.

However, in case of issues in situations like this, one option is to provide
a route of remote access - either talking someone through installing
Teamviewer or similar on a local PC, or a Raspberry Pi or similar small box
configured to 'phone home' to a server you control and act as a staging post
into their network.

Theo

Roger Mills

Feb 26, 2022, 8:10:28 AMFeb 26
On 25/02/2022 20:18, Malcolm Loades wrote:

> What is an easy set-up for you and me is not an easy setup for a 78 year
> old lady who has less than zero computer knowledge.

Is she so far from civilisation that there's no-one she knows who could
help her?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Woody

Feb 26, 2022, 9:25:53 AMFeb 26
Start over and send her a Linksys/Cisco PAP2T and conventional phone. I
have three PAP2T units and none have ever lost a setup no matter for how
long they have not been used.

Malcolm Loades

Feb 27, 2022, 2:07:30 AMFeb 27
On 26/02/2022 22:48, noel wrote:
> I Have one these gxp's
>
> It is a spare, been in my cupbaord untouched for nearing 3 years, just
> blew the dust off it and fired it up, logged in right away, still knows
> the sttic IP I assigned it as well as sip details.
>
> Most devices use flash memory as someone previously pointed out, and have
> done so for a very long time, short of shooting it with an EMP like
> device, it will still hold those settings for decades

Just what I hoped to hear!

Thanks to you and everyone else with suggestions.

Malcolm

notya...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2022, 1:46:54 PMFeb 28
Well do it remotely then!

Equipment I have programmed has been used in IRL, NL and D without difficulty and retains configuration in non volatile memory. Just plug it into a router, power up and off you go.