sipgate basic incoming calls hear wrong ringtone!

47 views
Skip to first unread message

Brian Gregory

unread,
Sep 19, 2021, 8:16:44 PM9/19/21
to
I got a sipgate basic free number.

How do I set it so that incoming calls from a normal BT line hear a UK
style ring tone rather than a US style one which causes most callers to
immediately hang up thinking something is wrong?

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Stevan Tiefert

unread,
Sep 20, 2021, 5:42:26 AM9/20/21
to
Am 20.09.2021 um 02:16 schrieb Brian Gregory:
> I got a sipgate basic free number.
>
> How do I set it so that incoming calls from a normal BT line hear a UK
> style ring tone rather than a US style one which causes most callers to
> immediately hang up thinking something is wrong?
>
You may ask sipgate directly.

You can't make a change, because sipgate decides which ringtone is
heared in their telephony-server.

That is like you are installing an Asterisk or FreeSWITCH PBX and you
are deciding as a administrator which ringtone is heared if somebody is
calling your PBX from outside.

Malcolm Loades

unread,
Sep 20, 2021, 7:00:11 AM9/20/21
to
On 20/09/2021 01:16, Brian Gregory wrote:
> I got a sipgate basic free number.
>
> How do I set it so that incoming calls from a normal BT line hear a UK
> style ring tone rather than a US style one which causes most callers to
> immediately hang up thinking something is wrong?
>
I've just called my Sipgate basic geographic number to see if anything
has changed. No, as has always been the case I hear UK ringtone.

Malcolm

Woody

unread,
Sep 20, 2021, 2:40:21 PM9/20/21
to
On 20/09/2021 01:16, Brian Gregory wrote:
> I got a sipgate basic free number.
>
> How do I set it so that incoming calls from a normal BT line hear a UK
> style ring tone rather than a US style one which causes most callers to
> immediately hang up thinking something is wrong?
>


Google the UK config for your ATA and set it up according to that. If
its one of the common ATAs log in to the Sipgate help pages and you
should find the necessary data there.

The ringing tone heard by the caller is (usually) set in your device
ISTR by the country code albeit I cannot remember where. I know I had
the exact same problem and curing it didn't involve contacting Sipgate.

Brian Gregory

unread,
Sep 20, 2021, 10:36:53 PM9/20/21
to
I think you're talking about changing the ring tone I hear when I make a
call.

I want to change the ring tone the caller hears when they call me.

Brian Gregory

unread,
Sep 20, 2021, 10:38:21 PM9/20/21
to
I hear a UK ring tone if I call from my mobile but a US style ring tone
if I call from my landline.

Stevan Tiefert

unread,
Sep 21, 2021, 3:42:38 AM9/21/21
to
I know it is hard to believe, but call sipgate.
They have tools like homer and they can exactly say (if they want) what
is happening at every specific call.
You have to call them quick, because they are storing such detailed
SIP-logs maybe 3 days.
And you can, if you belive or not do something crazy as area
code/preselection based ring tones if they want. Maybe they have a
misconfiguration.
But if you don't contact them, the logs will be deleted and only the
CDRs will be left.

Bob Eager

unread,
Sep 21, 2021, 6:00:00 AM9/21/21
to
My understanding has always been that it depends on how Sipgate choose to
route the call to you. If it is done via an overseas intermediary, then
you'll get a different ringing tone presented. The choice might depend on
traffic conditions and other things.

Brian Gregory

unread,
Sep 21, 2021, 12:12:45 PM9/21/21
to
On 21/09/2021 10:59, Bob Eager wrote:
> My understanding has always been that it depends on how Sipgate choose to
> route the call to you. If it is done via an overseas intermediary, then
> you'll get a different ringing tone presented. The choice might depend on
> traffic conditions and other things.

I wouldn't have thought they'd have much choice over how incoming calls
were routed.

Brian Gregory

unread,
Sep 21, 2021, 12:15:45 PM9/21/21
to
On 21/09/2021 08:42, Stevan Tiefert wrote:
> I know it is hard to believe, but call sipgate.
> They have tools like homer and they can exactly say (if they want) what
> is happening at every specific call.
> You have to call them quick, because they are storing such detailed
> SIP-logs maybe 3 days.
> And you can, if you belive or not do something crazy as area
> code/preselection based ring tones if they want. Maybe they have a
> misconfiguration.
> But if you don't contact them, the logs will be deleted and only the
> CDRs will be left.

They're currently just giving me what I suspect are answers from a
script since they only make sense to me if they actually are answers for
a different problem, namely me hearing the wrong ring tone when I make a
call from SIPGATE.

Woody

unread,
Sep 21, 2021, 12:25:35 PM9/21/21
to
Er, "The ring tone heard by the CALLER!!!!"

Doesn't that make it plain what I meant?


Brian Gregory

unread,
Sep 21, 2021, 5:37:37 PM9/21/21
to
I've never seen the ability to set the ringtone heard by an incoming
call on any VoIP device, only the tones and rings you, the owner of the
VoIP device, hear are configurable.

Normally with VoIP there isn't even any audio flowing outwards over the
Internet from the called device until it is answered.

Andy Burns

unread,
Sep 22, 2021, 3:54:53 AM9/22/21
to
Brian Gregory wrote:

> Normally with VoIP there isn't even any audio flowing outwards over the Internet
> from the called device until it is answered.

Though 'Early Media' can be used to send ringing tones ...

David Woolley

unread,
Sep 22, 2021, 6:14:45 AM9/22/21
to
On 22/09/2021 08:54, Andy Burns wrote:
> Though 'Early Media' can be used to send ringing tones ...

Although may be blocked because it can also be used to operate recorded
announcement services.

Brian Gregory

unread,
Sep 22, 2021, 9:17:04 PM9/22/21
to
Their next suggestion "make sure I'm using a UK dial plan".

I can't believe how ignorant they are.

Stevan Tiefert

unread,
Sep 23, 2021, 4:25:50 AM9/23/21
to
That is that, what I described with the area code/preselection based
ring tones... I know, not you are the problem, the combination of your
callers calling your sipgate is the case they should examine!

>
> I can't believe how ignorant they are.
>

Okay,... I have no words... you are right...

Andrew Lyner

unread,
Jul 6, 2022, 4:56:00 PMJul 6
to
Same problem with the new Gigaclear VoIP service. Gigaclear has recently supplied me with a new fibre Internet service and it's working fine. But the VoIP box they gave me presents me to the World with a non UK ring tone. Very annoying and loses me some incoming calls.

I tried their help line and they didn't;t understand what my problem is. In exasperation, I wrote (actual hard copy) to their head office and I think they are beginning to understand the problem. I am several months later than you guys into the problem and I wonder if you have had any joy.

I guess I could be necropsying but it's worth a try.
Cheers

Brian Gregory

unread,
Jul 8, 2022, 7:30:47 AMJul 8
to
Meanwhile, sipgate seem to be doing it right now.

I'm afraid I don't remember if I did something to make it work right. I
think it probably just started working right on it's own.

Andrew Lyner

unread,
Jul 9, 2022, 7:09:53 AMJul 9
to
Thanks for that information. I will wait awhile for Gigaclear to respond and then quote your experience with SIPOGATE
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages