Help with SIP Discount numbers

Chris Green

Nov 11, 2021, 5:48:04 PM11/11/21
I have a (quite old) basic SIP Discount account which has the following in the
Phone Numbers section:-

Type Number CallerID Status
VoIP-in +441133550251  Verified

Mobile +447906226675  Verified

Mobile +447906626760  Verified

Can anyone explain how these work please, it's not immediately
obvious from their help.

As I understand it the VoIP-in number is something they no longer
provide for free, I got mine a long time ago. However I'm not
clear how it's used, is it the number to call that will ring my
VOIP connected home phone (I have a Gigaset DECT/VOIP setup. I.e.
I configure the Gigaset VOIP with the SIP Discount settings and
+441133550251 should work for both incoming and outgoing calls.

Are the 'Mobile' ones simply able to use SIP Discount for making
calls? They don't have anything to do with my VOIP setup at home.

--
Chris Green
·

Theo

Nov 12, 2021, 5:17:06 PM11/12/21
Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
> I have a (quite old) basic SIP Discount account which has the following in
> the Phone Numbers section:-

SIP Discount looks like a Betmax brand, so...

> Type Number CallerID Status
> VoIP-in +441133550251  Verified
>
> Mobile +447906226675  Verified
>
> Mobile +447906626760  Verified
>

> Can anyone explain how these work please, it's not immediately
> obvious from their help.

I think the deal is that you register numbers with them - they call them with
a secret code to prove you control them. Those are your 'verified' numbers.

You can then set those numbers as your outgoing CLID. There's a setting in
the app, or a field you can supply to your SIP client.

Some of the Betamax brands also have local access numbers. You call those
numbers from a regular phone, and if the CLID of that phone matches one of
your verified numbers then you're allowed to dial an onward number and the
call is billed to your account, and the ongoing CLID shows as that number.
Not all brands support this.

> As I understand it the VoIP-in number is something they no longer
> provide for free, I got mine a long time ago. However I'm not
> clear how it's used, is it the number to call that will ring my
> VOIP connected home phone (I have a Gigaset DECT/VOIP setup. I.e.
> I configure the Gigaset VOIP with the SIP Discount settings and
> +441133550251 should work for both incoming and outgoing calls.

https://www.myvoipprovider.com/blog/betamax-voip-in-numbers

It appears those dial-in numbers when called forward to another number, with
the forwarding charge billed to your Betamax account. So you can use them
for example to have a landline number that forwards to your mobile.

I'd guess you can configure them to call a phone number like your landline
or mobile. You then pay the Betamax per-minute cost for calling that
number. It's possible they also ring the SIP phone which is registered with
them for outgoing calls - not sure if that also works.

Theo