Robustness of VoIP

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Mar 24, 2020, 12:52:13 PM3/24/20
As we're all supposed to be working from home, etc, this afternoon,

- my local council phones are down, no incoming calls accepted
- Social Security Scotland phones are down, no incoming calls accepted

I know the council is VoIP internally, presumably SS Scotland is too as I don't think anyone installs a major new PABX that isn't these days.

Don't know if they're SIP trunks or ISDN externally.

That's two essential govt agencies unable to accept calls.

Owain

MissRiaElaine

Mar 24, 2020, 3:26:17 PM3/24/20
We had an electrical safety inspection booked for last Monday, that went
ahead fine and we passed with a clean bill of health apart from an
earthing problem behind one of the power sockets, which they quickly fixed.

However, the gas safety inspection, which was due today, didn't happen.
It was booked for this afternoon, but we had no email or phone call to
advise it had been cancelled.

So my other half rang them at around 4pm. Yes, it's been called off,
we're writing to advise you and to book another appointment.

Erm.. Excuse me..? You're going to *write* to us..? That will go into
the postal system and presumably arrive sometime next week. How,
precisely, is this helping us trying to find out why the engineer who
was supposed to be here three hours ago, hasn't turned up..?

The mind boggles. Now, I find that the Government is ordering us to stay
at home. Not asking, not advising, *ordering* us..!! I for one swore
nobody was ever going to give me orders again after I retired, and I
have no intention of obeying anybody else now. Grrrrr...!!!!

Ok, rant over.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

R. Mark Clayton

Mar 26, 2020, 8:47:36 AM3/26/20
On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 16:52:13 UTC, spuorg...@gowanhill.com wrote:
> As we're all supposed to be working from home, etc, this afternoon,
>
> - my local council phones are down, no incoming calls accepted
> - Social Security Scotland phones are down, no incoming calls accepted
>
> I know the council is VoIP internally, presumably SS Scotland is too as I don't think anyone installs a major new PABX that isn't these days.

I am not even sure you can buy them. We sold a none Voip PABX five years ago and had layered VoIP on top of it for some time before that.

> Don't know if they're SIP trunks or ISDN externally.

They are Ethernet. WTF is a SIP trunk?

> That's two essential govt agencies unable to accept calls.

They could have sent their staff home or they could be sick - better no reply than ages on hold and then cut off.

> Owain

Andy Burns

Mar 26, 2020, 9:16:17 AM3/26/20
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

> spuorg...@gowanhill wrote:
>
>> Don't know if they're SIP trunks or ISDN externally.
>
> They are Ethernet. WTF is a SIP trunk?

An internet connection, used solely for SIP/RTP traffic, along with a
bunch of DDI numbers, usually from a telephony provider rather than an
ISP, for whatever reason they tend to be provided (in my experience
anyway) over an EFM connection, probably for much larger "pipes" they
will use a FTTP connection?

Graham.

Mar 26, 2020, 6:37:50 PM3/26/20
WTF is a SIP trunk?

>An internet connection, used solely for SIP/RTP traffic, along with a
>bunch of DDI numbers, usually from a telephony provider rather than an
>ISP, for whatever reason they tend to be provided (in my experience
>anyway) over an EFM connection, probably for much larger "pipes" they
>will use a FTTP connection?

That makes sense, but many VSPs use the term SIP trunk(ing) in a very
lose manner, usually these VSPs have no control of the physical line
to their customer. They just use it to mean a SIP account and it's
associated channels, DDIs etc.

It seems to me they often use it to blind the prospective custmer with
jargon while they charge $$$ for a service they could have for free
elswhere.

Graham.

Mar 26, 2020, 7:09:33 PM3/26/20
What's the politically correct thing I should call you Jones, a twat
or a dick?

The last time anything comparable happened regarding civilian loss of
life, our fathers and grandfathers were expected to fight Germans. Now
it's just germs that are the enemy, and all you are being asked / told
to do, is sit on your arse.

MissRiaElaine

Mar 26, 2020, 7:29:59 PM3/26/20
On 26/03/2020 23:09, Graham. wrote:

> What's the politically correct thing I should call you Jones, a twat
> or a dick?

You can call me whatever you like as long as you don't call me late for
dinner :-)

R. Mark Clayton

Mar 28, 2020, 8:24:57 AM3/28/20
Yeh sure - but really just a vapour-ware scam see: -

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_sip_trunks.php

Never paid for one.