Problem with my VOIP account and Zoiper

Murmansk

Mar 1, 2022, 9:31:27 AM3/1/22
I have a basic VOIP service for business use with a “well known VOIP service provider”.

I have a Cisco ATA plugged into my router and a virtual extension with the company that allows me to get calls on my Android mobile phone using the Zoiper Pro app.

This has worked well for ages but suddenly I found that Zoiper would often fail to connect and so I contacted the service provider.

They told me that “an EGW device” was logged into my extension from Bulgaria!

I told them I didn’t know what an EGW device was and asked them to disconnect it, so they changed my password. I’ve now put the new password into Zoiper and all seems to be well.

The didn’t seem able to tell me what and EGW device is but I wondered if anyone could explain what’s gone on here?

Woody

Mar 1, 2022, 11:43:01 AM3/1/22
Its an Emergency Gateway - whatever that may be - and looks as though it
may be something to do with the US emergency notification system.

It might give others more help to help you if you said who your 'well
known VoIP service provider' is. If it is Sipgate it could also be
something to do with emergency comms in Germany given the current
situation across Europe.

Murmansk

Mar 1, 2022, 12:33:12 PM3/1/22
>It might give others more help to help you if you said who your 'well
known VoIP service provider' is. <

Voipfone

notya...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2022, 6:13:32 AM3/2/22
Many mobile phones, including Samsung since ~2018 can make and receive VOIP calls native on the phone - no app' required.

Have you set up emergency calling on your Voipfone account and / or been abroad recently?

Zoiper has a Luxembourg number for itself and the IDD code is +352, quite similar to Bulgaria +359.

Murmansk

Mar 2, 2022, 9:47:20 AM3/2/22
I've not set up emergency details on Zoiper

Not been abroad in two years

My Zoiper wouldn't connect to Voipfone so I contacted them and they said something in Bulgaria was connected. They changed the password and then I logged in successfully for a few hours but then something else seemed to have logged in.

I installed the Zoiper Softphone app and that seems to work at the moment.

All a bit of a mystery to me

notya...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2022, 11:25:12 AM3/4/22
What AV software do you run on your machine?

Is your account running down (check for outgoing calls you did not make).

Murmansk

Mar 4, 2022, 2:23:52 PM3/4/22
I've got Kaspersky antivirus - ironically!

No calls made on my account by me or anyone else

notya...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2022, 6:49:27 AM3/5/22
On Friday, 4 March 2022 at 19:23:52 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
> I've got Kaspersky antivirus - ironically!
>
> No calls made on my account by me or anyone else

Apart from verbal advice from Voipfone, how do you know about the Bulgarian login. Seems a good way to encourage customers to change their passwords (the default ones issued are just six numbers).

Murmansk

Mar 5, 2022, 8:09:25 AM3/5/22

> Apart from verbal advice from Voipfone, how do you know about the Bulgarian login. Seems a good way to encourage customers to change their passwords (the default ones issued are just six numbers).<

I only know about the Bulgarian login from an email from Voipfone.

Martin Paterson

May 19, 2022, 10:20:39 AM5/19/22
Zoiper is made by a Bulgarian company (Securax EOOD) and 'EGW Sv1.72' is the user agent that their servers use when they register. Their servers are located in Bulgaria - which your VoIP provider would have found out from the IP address the registration is coming from. So it's nothing to worry about.

Rob

Mar 29, 2023, 11:42:41 PM3/29/23
I am experiencing exactly the very same problem right now.
The only difference is that the VOIP provider gets the Agent EGW sv.1.88.
This has caused a mess with the VOIP provider's Answering System: it does not work anymore.
Furthermore the phone number results as "non existent, unreachable" causing a failed call.

The setting remains on the VOIP provider for longer than the default 180 seconds:
it appears that the program causes a registration of the device for longer than 3 days!!!!

So my question would be: it is a Zoiper's bug or the VOIP provider?

Murmansk

Apr 14, 2023, 2:54:37 PM4/14/23
I'm the OP for this question but I don't really remember much about it now except to say that I stopped using Zoiper and started to use the app provided by my voip supplier and it's been a lot better.