How port BT landine No. to SIP

eli...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2015, 6:24:09 AM8/4/15

What is the process of porting a BT landline number to a virtual number which can then be ported to any SIP server?

Thanks.

Theo Markettos

Aug 4, 2015, 11:36:25 AM8/4/15
eli...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the process of porting a BT landline number to a virtual number which can then be ported to any SIP server?

You need to port the number to a VOIP telco that accepts ports in. You
tell the telco what the number is, pay the fee, give whatever documentation
they need, and they 'pull' the number from BT, causing a 'cease' on the BT
account in the process. It's better not to contact BT, in case they
mistakenly cancel your line before the pull is received..

Once it's established at the VOIP telco, you set your SIP server to register
with the VOIP telco's server to receive incoming calls. You don't have to
route outbound calls via them if you don't want to, though you might want to
arrange for whatever outbound route you choose to have your incoming CLID.

Theo

Graham.

Aug 4, 2015, 4:19:48 PM8/4/15
voipfone.co.uk is quite popular for this and the process is documented
here:
http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Porting_Numbers.php
As Theo said, let the port cause the line to cease, don't warn the
losing telco beforehand and give them the opportunity to mess it up.
Worst case scenario: You lose your precious number in the mayhem.

Obviously any ADSL in the line is going to be disrupted, so best get
an alternitive broadband channel first.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Kier Douley

Aug 5, 2015, 11:18:40 AM8/5/15
Thanks Theo.

Kier Douley

Aug 5, 2015, 11:19:12 AM8/5/15
Thanks Graham.

R. Mark Clayton

Aug 5, 2015, 12:45:58 PM8/5/15
On Tuesday, 4 August 2015 21:19:48 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 03:24:08 -0700 (PDT), eli...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >What is the process of porting a BT landline number to a virtual number which can then be ported to any SIP server?
> >
> >Thanks.
>
> voipfone.co.uk is quite popular for this and the process is documented
> here:
> http://www.voipfone.co.uk/PB_Porting_Numbers.php

Indeed they are very proficient.

> As Theo said, let the port cause the line to cease, don't warn the
> losing telco beforehand and give them the opportunity to mess it up.
> Worst case scenario: You lose your precious number in the mayhem.

Even if you don't BT will try very hard to mess it up. On the last one I did BT twice claimed that the number I was porting out was with another provider and refused to hand it over, even though I was paying them for it (or had been until they cut it off in a botched migration). Third time lucky.

> Obviously any ADSL in the line is going to be disrupted, so best get
> an alternitive broadband channel first.

You can Voip over 3G.

> --
>
> Graham.
>
> %Profound_observation%

Michael Chare

Aug 12, 2015, 4:33:23 PM8/12/15
I did this. It worked fine. I got my ADSL service discontinued first. I
was surprised that BT did not offer to continue the phone service using
the new number assigned to the line.

--
Michael Chare

Graham.

Aug 12, 2015, 6:09:25 PM8/12/15
Probebly because that would be seen as Openreach favouring BT over its
competitors.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Michael Chare

Aug 13, 2015, 6:34:22 PM8/13/15
My account was with BT Retail they knew about the number port.
Technically I never
said I wanted to cease the line, just said I wanted to move the number
elsewhere.
I don't think Openreach would be favouring BT Retail, as BT Retail knew
about the port anyway.

--
Michael Chare

Graham.

Aug 13, 2015, 10:34:22 PM8/13/15
Michael Chare <mUNDERS...@chareDOTorg.uk> Wrote in message:
Tell me about it!
I would love to move my landline number to voipfone.co.uk whilst
leaving my DSL and (renumbered) line intact, but AIUI
there
isn't a reliable proceedure to achieve this, and is probebly
further complicated by my calls provider being WLR (Fuel
Broadband).

Perhaps I could port the number out, causing the line to cease,
settle up with Fuel Broadband, say goodbye and good riddance to
Sky Broadband (confusing isn't it?) then ask Plusnet to re-start
the line FOC and take their VDSL and line-rental package. I
reckon I would be without phone or broadband for over a week
while that was sorted and that makes it problematic.

I don't suppose, before I cease the line, I could convince
Plusnet to install a second line for me, provision it with their
services, just so I can cancel the original line afterwards?
Perhaps not, they are likely to expect to restart an existing
otherwise working line.

(A second line does in fact enter the house from the DP on the
pole, it was SWMBO's business line years ago but it's dead
now).

All comments about my dilemma greatfully received.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Andy Burns

Aug 14, 2015, 4:19:14 AM8/14/15
Graham. wrote:

> All comments about my dilemma greatfully received.

Don't forget that any action that causes ceasing rather than migrating
broadband service will hit you with a charge (£30ish)

tony sayer

Aug 14, 2015, 3:16:01 PM8/14/15

>Tell me about it!
>I would love to move my landline number to voipfone.co.uk whilst
> leaving my DSL and (renumbered) line intact, but AIUI
>there
> isn't a reliable proceedure to achieve this, and is probebly
> further complicated by my calls provider being WLR (Fuel
> Broadband).

We moved our main line to VoIPfone around 3 years ago and as we use VM
for BB threes no need for another line but if the VM system goes down we
can use the VoIPfone system to divert incoming calls to the mobile and
it works very well, the once it had to!..

>Perhaps I could port the number out, causing the line to cease,
> settle up with Fuel Broadband, say goodbye and good riddance to
> Sky Broadband (confusing isn't it?) then ask Plusnet to re-start
> the line FOC and take their VDSL and line-rental package. I
> reckon I would be without phone or broadband for over a week
> while that was sorted and that makes it problematic.

You should be allowed to port your number to VoIPfone then get another
number best bet is to ask Michelle at VoIPfone she does all the porting
there and is quite knowledgeable...

>I don't suppose, before I cease the line, I could convince
> Plusnet to install a second line for me, provision it with their
> services, just so I can cancel the original line afterwards?
> Perhaps not, they are likely to expect to restart an existing
> otherwise working line.
>
>(A second line does in fact enter the house from the DP on the
> pole, it was SWMBO's business line years ago but it's dead
> now).
>
>All comments about my dilemma greatfully received.

--
Tony Sayer

Michael Chare

Aug 15, 2015, 5:18:17 AM8/15/15
On 14/08/2015 02:09, Graham. wrote:
> Michael Chare <mUNDERS...@chareDOTorg.uk> Wrote in message:

> Tell me about it!
> I would love to move my landline number to voipfone.co.uk whilst
> leaving my DSL and (renumbered) line intact, but AIUI
> there
> isn't a reliable proceedure to achieve this, and is probebly
> further complicated by my calls provider being WLR (Fuel
> Broadband).
>
> Perhaps I could port the number out, causing the line to cease,
> settle up with Fuel Broadband, say goodbye and good riddance to
> Sky Broadband (confusing isn't it?) then ask Plusnet to re-start
> the line FOC and take their VDSL and line-rental package. I
> reckon I would be without phone or broadband for over a week
> while that was sorted and that makes it problematic.
>

> I don't suppose, before I cease the line, I could convince
> Plusnet to install a second line for me, provision it with their
> services, just so I can cancel the original line afterwards?
> Perhaps not, they are likely to expect to restart an existing
> otherwise working line.
>
> (A second line does in fact enter the house from the DP on the
> pole, it was SWMBO's business line years ago but it's dead
> now).
>
> All comments about my dilemma greatfully received.

I stopped my ADSL broadband before I requested the port. I was with
Plusnet for ADSL and out of contract so I was able to avoid a cease charge.

Speaking to Voipfone would be a good idea. They are very helpful.

Are you able to use a mobile phone as a temporary hotspot if you expect
to loose service for a week or two?

--
Michael Chare

Jono

Aug 15, 2015, 4:31:47 PM8/15/15
Graham. explained on 14/08/2015 :
> Tell me about it!
> I would love to move my landline number to voipfone.co.uk whilst
> leaving my DSL and (renumbered) line intact, but AIUI
> there
> isn't a reliable proceedure to achieve this, and is probebly
> further complicated by my calls provider being WLR (Fuel
> Broadband).

It's coming, if not already here, though...

WLR021/14 WLR renumber with number export

11/12/2014 For Information

This briefing is for WLR Communications Providers.
This briefing advises on the launch of a new renumber capability and is
for all WLR Communications Providers (or their customers).

Openreach will be launching a new WLR renumber product as part of EMP
Release 2750 scheduled for delivery on 24 January 2015.

The new product will enable WLR CPs to place an order to renumber a WLR
service and simultaneously export the original number to an alternate
network. Any associated SMPF product will be retained on the renumbered
WLR line. This is documented in the WLR product description on the WLR
PSTN page of the Openreach website.

R. Mark Clayton

Aug 16, 2015, 1:24:07 PM8/16/15
On Friday, 14 August 2015 20:16:01 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:

> >Tell me about it!
> >I would love to move my landline number to voipfone.co.uk whilst
> > leaving my DSL and (renumbered) line intact, but AIUI
> >there
> > isn't a reliable proceedure to achieve this, and is probebly
> > further complicated by my calls provider being WLR (Fuel
> > Broadband).
>
> We moved our main line to VoIPfone around 3 years ago and as we use VM
> for BB threes no need for another line but if the VM system goes down we
> can use the VoIPfone system to divert incoming calls to the mobile and
> it works very well, the once it had to!..
>

> >Perhaps I could port the number out, causing the line to cease,
> > settle up with Fuel Broadband, say goodbye and good riddance to
> > Sky Broadband (confusing isn't it?) then ask Plusnet to re-start
> > the line FOC and take their VDSL and line-rental package. I
> > reckon I would be without phone or broadband for over a week
> > while that was sorted and that makes it problematic.
> >

> You should be allowed to port your number to VoIPfone then get another
> number best bet is to ask Michelle at VoIPfone she does all the porting
> there and is quite knowledgeable...

very knowledgeable, and efficient and tenacious...