SPA3000 as PSTN to VoIP gateway

David Higton

Sep 18, 2021, 5:02:25 PM9/18/21
I just dug out my old SPA3000, which I got a couple of years back but
never got to work the way I wanted. And I'm again in the same situation.

I have a Sipgate account and a PSTN line. The SPA3000 registers fine to
Sipgate. I'd like it to forward incoming PSTN calls (after a delay),
transparently, to my Sipgate number - to which my mobile is registered.

The nearest I've been able to achieve is that, after a delay of 8 seconds,
I hear a different dial tone. I'm not sure whether this is Sipgate's or
that of the SPA3000. Anyway it isn't the transparent forwarding that I
want - after the 8 seconds, I want my mobile to ring.

Any help in setting it up to do what I want would be appreciated.

In an ideal world, as soon as a ring voltage is detected, my Sipgate
device(s) would receive a SIP INVITE, so the call would be offered to the
Sipgate-registered device(s) in parallel with the PSTN device(s), but
that's probably too much to hope for.

David

Woody

Sep 19, 2021, 2:56:00 PM9/19/21
I'm not really sure I understand this, but the only way I think you can
forward a landline call is by having the call forwarding facility on the
landline - I admit that I am not familiar with the SPA3000 to that
degree although I know the 2000 series well.

The other option is a Fritz!box I would have thought?

David Higton

Sep 20, 2021, 5:39:14 PM9/20/21
In message <si813v$rso$1...@dont-email.me>
I've been searching on the web, which has made me question whether I'm
using the correct terminology. Perhaps what I want is to bridge the
call?

The simple top-level description of what I want is: any incoming PSTN
call is offered to my mobile phone at the same time as to the DECTs
(which will be plugged in to the line in parallel with the SPA3000),
and can be answered by either DECT or mobile. The mobile has Linphone
on it, which is successfully registered to Sipgate but could just as
well be registered to an Asterisk server on a Raspberry Pi. Whatever
works.

I have no interest in making outgoing calls on the PSTN line. (They
cost money; calls made by the mobile don't - unlimited minutes tariff
as normal for pay monthly.)

David

notya...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2021, 7:52:48 AM9/21/21
Each phone is separately registered to the the Voip provider, in my case Voipfone. Years ago they promised that the user could choose which one rang, but they never implemented this, probably because you can treat each phone as an extension on your virtual PBX for £1 per month and choose which phones ring, when and in what order.

Woody

Sep 21, 2021, 12:29:07 PM9/21/21
IIRC you just have your mobile set to the same parameter values (ports,
numbers etc) as the DECT phones. Then they will all ring simultaneously.

Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

notya...@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2021, 12:39:45 PM9/21/21
Normally just the one used last, unless you set them up as a hunt group in a virtual PABX.

David Higton

Sep 21, 2021, 5:12:34 PM9/21/21
In message <7a351d6f59.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>
David Higton <da...@davehigton.me.uk> wrote:

> I've been searching on the web, which has made me question whether I'm
> using the correct terminology. Perhaps what I want is to bridge the call?
>
> The simple top-level description of what I want is: any incoming PSTN call
> is offered to my mobile phone at the same time as to the DECTs (which will
> be plugged in to the line in parallel with the SPA3000), and can be
> answered by either DECT or mobile. The mobile has Linphone on it, which is
> successfully registered to Sipgate but could just as well be registered to
> an Asterisk server on a Raspberry Pi. Whatever works.
>
> I have no interest in making outgoing calls on the PSTN line. (They cost
> money; calls made by the mobile don't - unlimited minutes tariff as normal
> for pay monthly.)

The answers I've had, show that I still haven't explained the setup.

I have a set of DECT phones with the base station connected to the BT
line.

What I have now: When a PSTN call comes in, all the DECT phones ring.
First one picked up answers the call.

What I want: When a PSTN call comes in, all the DECT phones and my mobile
ring. First one picked up answers the call.

(In both cases, if no phone is picked up, the call goes to VM. I don't
care if it's BT's VM or my mobile's VM.)

I can connect my SPA3000's FXO port to the same line with a splitter
cable. The DECT phones and the SPA3000 will be offered incoming calls
simultaneously.

The question is what I can do from there on. Can I get the SPA3000 to
offer incoming calls to my mobile, without answering them first? Can
I do it by registering the SPA3000 and my mobile to Sipgate? Or do I
need an instance of Asterisk or FreePBX in there? Can what I want be
done at all?

The nearest I've been able to achieve in my experiments is that the
SPA3000 answers the call, either with a dial tone (presumably that of
my Sipgate number) or silence. Neither of those is anywhere near
satisfactory.

I have yet to be convinced that an SPA3000 can /offer/ an incoming PSTN
call via VoIP without answering it.

If anyone has done what I want to do, please let me know how you did
it.

David

Bob L

Sep 22, 2021, 4:27:05 AM9/22/21
Have a look here

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/321384

May be of some help

notya...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2021, 6:33:58 AM9/22/21
Have a rummage around and see if there is a app' which will allow your mobile to make calls via Bluetooth and ergo the SPA3000.

Otherwise you will have to divert your landline to Voip and do some configuration as already described.

David Higton

Sep 22, 2021, 12:03:20 PM9/22/21
In message <eoolkglus9narj91c...@4ax.com>
Yeah. It's not what I want, but I fear it may be the closest I'm going
to get with an SPA3000. Where it falls short:

1) The mobile doesn't ring until the divert delay expires.

2) When diverting to VoIP, the call is answered by the SPA3000, without
regard to whether the mobile answers it.

I could design exactly the FXO adapter that I want, and write its drivers,
but of course it would take me months to do it. Ringing voltage detected
causes SIP INVITE; SIP CONNECT seizes the line. I don't understand why
such a thing isn't available off the shelf.

Oh well.

But thanks, all.

David

Roger Barrett

Sep 23, 2021, 3:17:37 PM9/23/21
What if you forward all pstn calls without delay (using the SPA) and
plug your dect phones into the voipport ijnstead. All dect and movbiles
will then ring at the same time

Roger Barrett

Sep 23, 2021, 3:21:58 PM9/23/21
it will always have to answer the call - the BT line doesnt know
anything about your spa / voip line. The only other way is to forward
the calls on your BT line to your voip number and then you'll end up
paying for the forwarding. Is there any reason you still have a landline
(other than for the broadband?) ? I transferred my landline number to
sipgate years ago - cost £30 from memory and have never looked back.

David Higton

Sep 25, 2021, 3:23:54 PM9/25/21
In message <siijsg$faa$1...@dont-email.me>
Roger Barrett <roger_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What if you forward all pstn calls without delay (using the SPA) and
> plug your dect phones into the voipport ijnstead. All dect and movbiles
> will then ring at the same time

Interesting idea. I'll see if I can do it. Thanks!

David

David Higton

Sep 25, 2021, 3:36:37 PM9/25/21
In message <siik4l$h80$1...@dont-email.me>
No. You could string lots of FXO and FXS adapters in series, set up so
that incoming ring voltage causes a SIP INVITE, a SIP INVITE causes
ringing voltage; picking up the last phone sends a SIP CONNECT, SIP
CONNECT seizes the line, etc. The original call only gets answered
if and when the end device is picked up. Audio gets passed along the
whole chain.

> The only other way is to forward the calls on your BT line to your voip
> number and then you'll end up paying for the forwarding.

I could forward the call to my VoIP number (if I had all the stuff
working) and BT would have no way to know anything about it. All they
would know is that the call had been terminated on my premises.

> Is there any reason you still have a landline (other than for the
> broadband?) ? I transferred my landline number to sipgate years ago -
> cost £30 from memory and have never looked back.

The idea has certainly occurred to me many times.

There still seems to be a general expectation that we will have a
landline number, otherwise we could go one step further and have only
mobiles. (I don't know why the expectation persists, but that is of
course another story.)

David

notya...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2021, 7:54:32 AM9/26/21
I have a business colleague who has a BT line and number in one city, and a Voip number in another where he has a satellite office - calls to the former divert when he is not there, calls to the latter terminate in his mobile.